From:
Vidalia Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vidalia Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 06:42:24 -0800

First, let me thank all those who contributed to the
poll.  I am always impressed with the caring
contributions made by this community.

Second, in addition to what I have included below, I
intend to do some internet research and see what the
online- GF shopping sites are selling in terms of
cornmeal, grits, polenta and quick-cooking polenta.
This was recommended by one list member who mentioned
Ener-G and Miss Roben's as potential vendors.

On to the Poll Results:

The following were recommended as gluten free (with
number of votes in parentheses)
Bob’s Red Mill Polenta (4)
Bob’s Red Mill Quick and Regular Cornmeals (1)
House of Autry Cornmeal (found at Kroger) (1)
Hodgson mills Cornmeal (3)
Cornmeal from Kinnikinnik (1)
Aunt Jemima Cornmeal(by Quaker) (1) (user reported no
reaction)
Quaker cornmeal (2) (eaten with no problems)
Alber’s cornmeal (1) (eaten with no problems)
Arrowhead Mills (2)
Blackwell’s fresh ground speckled grits (1) (produced
in a dedicated mill)
Jim Dandy Grits (1)

Some folks had reactions to the following:
Bob’s Red Mill Polenta (2) (these folks noted that
Bob’s Red Mill, although it has a dedicated GF
facility, does not produce their cornmeals/polentas in
them)
Bob’s Red Mill Grits (1)

My take is that the jury is out on Bob’s Red Mill and
each must decide for themselves whether to eat it.

Please note that the following pre-prepared polentas
(the kind you find in tubes usually near tofu in the
produce section) were recommended: Trader Joe’s, and
Frieda’s.  I make my own from scratch and would love
to share/swap recipes with anyone interested.  Polenta
is such a neat alternative for pasta and mashed
potatoes.  One person even said it can be used as a
substitute for croutons!

Individual comments:

“Here is a thread about "safe" cornmeal from the
Gluten Sensitivity/Celiac Disease forum of Braintalk
Communities:
http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/showthread.php?t=72135"

"I use Arrowhead Mills and Pamela's Pancake and Baking
mix to make my cornbread. I use the Pamela's recipe
and everyone loves them! My gluten eating friends ask
to take them home! I have NEVER gotten sick from
Arrowhead Mills. I feel certain they take extreme
precautions and test for gluten."

"I learned an easier way to cook [polenta] from
America's Test Kitchen.  After you bring it to a boil,
simmer it for about 10 minutes on the stove, then
cover tightly & put it into a 350 degree F. oven for
30 minutes to continue thickening.  Much easier than
stirring it with a polenta stick the entire time."

"We use a local grist mill.   I take it to the
Nashville group.   Her name is Joyce Bullingtion in
McEwen TN.   The shipping usually doubles the price of
the meal.  It is very good cornmeal.
The Enoch's Farm House Inn Bed & Breakfast
3072 Little Blue Creek Road
Mc Ewen, Tennessee   37101
(931) 582-3385
(931) 582-3218
email: [log in to unmask]
Joyce Bullington, Innkeeper"

"Any leftover grits are used the next morning in a
grits omelet. Just warm the grits in the microwave,
add eggs, onions, garlic, red & green diced peppers,
shredded cheese, etc. Actually, I usually cook enough
to have enough left to make the omelet."

"This is not really an answer to your questions but
there are some old mills that are open as tourist
attactions that grind only corn.  If you wanted corn
ground only in dedicated facilites that would be the
kind of place to buy some and stock up for a year."

Again, thanks for all your help and be on the lookout
for whatever I find on the online shopping front.

Sincerely,

Vidalia in Raleigh, NC