From:
Louise Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 08:20:11 -0400

Thanks to all who responded to my question about ricotta cheese.  I
received several helpful replies about brands and substitutes.  Apparently,
looking a large stores like Cub Foods is the best bet or just finding a
health food store that will order these brands for you.

Advice on brands and where to find them:

>I buy  Stella and Frigo Ricotta ( from the Wisc area).

>I have been using Sargenta brand ricotta with no ill effects

- Calling dairy companies 800 numbers and asking what vinegar they use in
their ricotta cheese was suggested.  Some brands have one size that is GF.

- Another suggestion was Land o' Lakes.

- Looking at large grocery store like Cub Foods or getting local stores to
special order GF brands was recommended.

Advice on substitutes included the following:

>There are recipes to make your own, but it is a lot of trouble.  While an
>inadequate substitute GF cottage cheese works in some recipes - like
lasagne.  >In others I have used yogurt cheese - which is easy to make.

One list member gave a recipe found in the NY Times with an adaptation.

>7 1/2 cups fresh whole milk
>1/2 cup heavy cream
>1 cup plain yogurt
>
>Line a mesh sieve with several layers of cheesecloth.  Place in large,
>high bowl.
>
>combine milk, cream & yogurt in pot over high heat and bring to a boil.
>Reduce heat and simmer until milk begins to curdle, about 2 min.
>Our mixture into cheesecloth lined sieve and let drain until firm, about
>1 hr.  Then refrigerate
>
>I suspect that you could probably omit the cream, but may have to
>substitue dry milk powder to "beef it up"

I hope these can help some of you.  Thanks for all the responses.

Louise in Columbus