Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 14:09:59 -0500

Hi to all
thanks for the Reponses.  I put a call into our Ped GI and am awaiting his answer.
I have cut an pasted many of the responses and here they are:

1.The pediatrician should be willing to refer her to a dermatologist.  This is
probably your best bet for an answer

2. have the same problem, but I am a 40 yr. old celiac. So it may very well be related to being a celiac, if you find out whats going on let me know.

3. Has your little one been tested for anemia and/or is she being treated for anemia.  I know that anemia can cause dark circles under the eyes

4.I would suspect allergies or other food intolerances.
Since going gluten free, we have discovered we also
react to other foods (casein, soy, peanuts, etc.)  All
of them will cause dark circles.
That is exactly how I was diagnosed.  I had red rashes around my eyes for
months and ultimately it turned into many infections in my eyes.  This
lasted for at least a year.  Initially doctors thought I had lupus.
Finally, a doctor thought it had something to do with my immune system.
After being diagnosed with CD and going on the GF diet for about 6 months to
a year, the infections and the red circles went away.

5.After my daughter was GF for about 6 months she started getting bright red marks under her eyes.  Not every day, but a few times a week.  Sometimes they would stay for days.  I asked a couple doctor friends who both said that bright red marks like that on the face are allergy signs.  I took her off dairy and they disappeared.  About a month later I put her back on dairy and they came right back.  I did that experiment a couple more times.  Because I have a major casein sensitivity and can't eat any dairy at all, it didn't come as a big surprise.
She's been completely off dairy since last summer and has never look better. It was easier than I thought.
good luck!

6.I also had redness under my eyes.  I went to the eye doctor and told him I
had celiac disease and that my eyes were bothering me. He did some tests
that check for primary sjogren's and said that I have that.  He put me on
restasis drops in my eyes and that has helped allot.  However, I am 46, I
sincerely hope that this is not the case for your dear little one.  However,
just wanted to put this thought in your mind.

7.Could it be an airborne or a contact allergy?

8.Sounds like it could possibly be allergies, either inhalant such as molds or
dust, or food allergies, or both.  Has happened to me in the past; there are
eye drops that her dr. can give her for allergy relief.  Benadryl is good
for itching but for allergies over a period of days it will dry the body out
and make one thirsty too.  There are also IGg4 allergy tests to test for
intolerances, which can be done with a simple blood draw, NOT the
traditional medicine route of expensive needle sticks on her back...........

9.In our family we are pale skinned, and when having allergy problems
(food or pollen) this happens to us. I would describe ours as more
pinky-purple, not red-red