Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 1996 13:09:20 -0700

I did quite a lot of research into this in my area. I was told that one
type of wax they use on apples is safe because it used carnuba wax.
Further investigation revealed that a gluten derivative is used to make
it spread nicely. I was given this information informally, and it may not
apply elsewhere, but I no longer eat apples unless I pick and wash them
myself. Also, it may not apply elsewhere, as I do not live in the USA.

I hope this is helpful.

Ron Hoggan Calgary, Alberta, Canada

>> It's really a question.... does anyone know what they coat fruits &
>> veggies with (commercial produce)- the waxy substance on apples, and
>> cucumbers? I am asking because I ate an obviously waxed Granny Smith
>> green apple & had a mild reaction- to a piece of fruit!

>I don't know exactly what is in it, but I have reacted to the wax on
>apples for some time.   If I peel the apples or remove the wax I get no
>problems.   I sometimes get the same problem from green peppers if I
>don't wash the wax off.   (I usually use a commercial product for this
>purpose:  "Healthy Harvest" fruit and vegetable rinse, although dish
>detergent might work as well.)

Dish detergent hasn't worked for me.