Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 18:21:46 -0600

Hi all,

Sorry it took so long to summarize, modem problems, in process of moving to
another state et al.  In regards to whether celiac is a preexisting
condition as far as new insurance goes I got several responses, differing
viewpoints.  In my original post I did not ask whether it mattered if the
diagnosis was biopsy driven or blood test driven.  That may/maynot make a
difference.  The long and the short of it is we are better off stating our
needs up front having no surprises later.

Thanks to all who replied.  This CD business can be very complicated.

-----------------------------
Coverage should be maintained
under recent changes in federal law, that allow people to change jobs
and continue coverage at the new employer so long as certain conditions
are met. A good human resources person should be able to tell you about
this, or a lawyer if necessary. Hope this helps.

-----------------------------------
There could be.  There is something similar to a credit bureau in the
insurance industry - the MIB, or Medical Insurance Bureau, if my
memory is correct on the name.  However, unless you expect to need
treatment in the next little while, it may not be a problem anyway.
Check the new policy and see what their issues are regarding
pre-existing conditions.  It's fairly likely that they simply won't
cover anything in the first six months, or some similar period, that's
the result of a pre-existing condition.  Assuming you're fairly stable
on a GF diet, and not needing any current treatment, all you need to
do is wait out the pre-existing condition waiting period and then it's
business as usual with MOST policies - but check the new one closely
to see.  You could even call your current company and see if they can
give you guidance, too.

-------------------------------------
Be very Careful!

CD is a pre-ex.
There are two immediate solutions, if his employers are large enough (20
employees or more):

1.   continuing current coverage through the COBRA provision

2.   if he was under his about-to-be former employer's plan for 18 months
or longer, he could then get a letter of "qualifying coverage" and take it
to his new employer and not be subject to pre-ex.

----------------------------------
If you ever want any coverage for celiac sprue related expenses, you're
going to have to disclose that sooner or later, right?  So, I think the
best
course would be to disclose it sooner.  That way you protect yourself from
any accusation of non-disclosure.  Non-disclosure will only give the
insurer
an excuse to deny coverage later.

-----------------------------------
I don't consider CD a medical condition ... I consider
it a way of being.  I am gluten-intolerant, I am also
intolerant of cigarette smoke,  oranges make my lips
swell, and I am short-sighted. We all have our foibles.
It is only because the supermarket shelves are stuffed
with things we cannot eat that we think we are abnormal.
And since I am on a gluten-free diet I am fine. I don't have
a disease. So in answer to you question ... it is only my
opinion ... a pre-existing condition is for heart, kidney,
liver problems, maybe cancer, multiple sclerosis etc
The difference is that these are illnesses/diseases ....
CD is not an illness/disease.

------------------------------
A couple years ago I bought life insurance and disclosed that I have CD.
As long as I was controlling it by diet, there was no problem.

-------------------------------
Interesting question.  I would be interested in the replies.  It is one
(major) reason why I have not gone through with definitive testing.  I
have been GF for over five years.  I know (regardless of a definitive
diagnosis) that I can never go back on gluten (when there are little
accidents -- I become *very* ill).  I am supposing (only my opinion)
that CD would be considered pre-existing (particularly since some
celiacs develop lymphoma).

My Employer checked with the company for my and they told him
that since we had already had the Insurance previously that CD would be
covered.
It would not hurt to check before hand to avoid nasty surprises.