From:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2013 08:47:28 -0400

I'm not currently a subscriber to America's Test Kitchen or any of the
related services (or affiliated in any other way, except as a previous
subscriber), but I still get a weekly newsletter with a few recipes and
product reviews that I always enjoy on Friday morning.  Today is the first
I've heard about a gluten free cookbook proposed for next year.  I've long
thought of complaining to the show that they have been ignoring their gf
followers- now I don't have to!  I wonder how many of the recipes will be
pulled from their trove of recipes that are naturally gluten free, like this
one?  But we see in the article that they are developing a gf chicken pot
pie!  The cookbook will be something many, including myself, will want to
add to their collection of cookbooks.
I'm an America's Test Kitchen junkie and collector of their recipes which
always come out fabulously and get raves from guests because they are well
tested and perfected.  Even recipes that are not naturally gf can usually be
converted, like their lemon meringue pie that gets oohs and aahs.   You may
be familiar with them from the show with host Christopher Kimball on PBS.
I've included (below) the sample recipe from the link in the blurb, and here
is a link to subscribe to the free newsletter.
http://www.americastestkitchen.com/newsletter/  I think they hope you will
get hooked, and you might!  I did but went through detox (just a figure of
speech!) and now get only my weekly maintenance dose and the hit of an
occasional cookbook.  I also enjoyed the vicarious pleasure of ordering a
set of cookbooks for a wedding gift.  I think they make a wonderful gift.

Warning about America's Test Kitchen: there are three services: America's
Test Kitchen, Cook's Illustrated, and Cook's Country.  The first is online
only (videos and recipes from the TV show). Cook's Illustrated (classic and
gourmet recipes) and Cook's Country (mostly simple family fare (comfort
food) and the least gluten-friendly) have both a paper magazine and an
online version, the latter with video from its TV show.  Each has its own
subscription fees that have been marching upwards, and the paper magazine
and electronic versions are priced separately.  This is a money machine!
There is a price break on additional subscriptions after the first one.  I
just re-subscribed for a two week online free trial to get access to a
particular recipe- potato latkes- and have to remember to cancel before I'm
charged.  But you can get recipes for free once a week by subscribing to the
newsletter.  They publish loads of cookbooks that go on sale occasionally,
too.  They are beautiful and interesting to read because they often include
a treatise with some science behind the recipe and how they were developed,
just like on the shows.  The recipe below is formatted in the same style as
the recipes in the cookbook that was my requested birthday present one year,
except in the cookbook there may be up to an entire page about the
development of a recipe- what works and what doesn't.  I find that very
interesting!

Bon Apetit!

Mary in upstate NY

<http://link.emails.americastestkitchen.com/s/lt?id=x28857842&si=1426445723&
pc=m2007&ei=74077973&b=y>
TEST KITCHEN SNAPSHOT
Chicken in the Kitchen
<http://link.emails.americastestkitchen.com/s/lt?id=x28857842&si=1426445723&
pc=n2008&ei=74077973&b=y>
Danielle DeSiato-Hallman and Meaghen Walsh sample eight different versions
of chicken pot pie filling. But this isn't just any chicken pot pie: It's a
recipe that will appear in our gluten-free cookbook due out next year. In
the meantime, try our naturally gluten-free recipe for Weeknight Chicken
<http://link.emails.americastestkitchen.com/s/lt?id=x28857842&si=1426445723&
pc=o2009&ei=74077973&b=y> : We steal an idea from the restaurant
industry-starting the chicken in a skillet-to give it a good sear and a head
start on crispy skin.
Weeknight Chicken
From Cook's Country
February/March 2011
<http://www.cookscountry.com/magazine/February-March-2011/29923/>

Why this recipe works:
Stealing an idea from the restaurant industry, we started our Weeknight
Chicken in a skillet to give it a good sear and a head start on crisp skin.
Adding a little chicken broth to the pan before finishing the chicken in the
oven acted as a buffer and prevented the white meat from drying out and the
skin from burning. We cranked the oven temperature to speed up the cooking
time and ensure that the skin didn't become too soggy from sitting in the
chicken broth. It also reduced the chicken broth, which became the base for
a flavorful pan sauce.
Serves 4 to 6
Use any combination of white and dark meat. For even cooking, halve breasts
crosswise and separate leg quarters into thighs and drumsticks.
Ingredients:
	1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
	1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
	1 cup white wine
	4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
	2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
	3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces
	  Salt and pepper
	1 tablespoon vegetable oil
	2 tablespoons unsalted butter
	1 salt
INSTUCTIONS:
	1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees.
Whisk 2 tablespoons broth and cornstarch in small bowl until no lumps
remain; reserve. Combine remaining broth, wine, garlic, and thyme in large
measuring cup.
	2. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with ½ teaspoon salt
and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Heat oil in large ovensafe skillet over medium-high
heat until just smoking. Cook chicken, skin side down, until well browned, 6
to 10 minutes. Flip and cook until lightly browned on second side, about 2
minutes.
	3. Slowly pour broth mixture into skillet and bring to boil.
Transfer skillet to oven and roast until white meat registers 160 degrees
and dark meat registers 175 degrees, 12 to 18 minutes. Transfer chicken to
platter and tent with aluminum foil. Discard garlic.
	4. Pour pan juices into liquid measuring cup; skim and discard fat.
Return 1½ cups defatted pan juices to now-empty skillet and bring to boil
over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sauce is
reduced to 1 cup, 5 to 7 minutes. Add reserved cornstarch mixture and simmer
until sauce is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Off heat, whisk in
butter. Season with salt and pepper. Serve, passing sauce at table.
Poaching Meets Roasting
When we want fast weeknight chicken, there is no time for long marinating or
brining. So how can we keep the chicken meat moist and the skin crisp? We
cook it partly submerged in flavorful liquid.

		THE MEAT stays moist and drinks in flavor from the poaching
liquid, which combines chicken broth, wine, and seasonings. The liquid
moderates temperature so that the dark-meat thighs can finish cooking
without the white-meat breasts overcooking.
		THE SKIN which we have already seared on the stovetop, stays
above the simmering cooking liquid, crisping further in the 450-degree heat
of the oven.
		THE BROTH evaporates and concentrates in the oven, making
the base for a quick, elegant, and flavorful sauce.

*******
*******