From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:34:40 -0700

HELP!  I'm generally careful to introduce new products or health
interventions one at a time, so that I can monitor for improvements, side
effects, etc.  But, the following things I'm writing about all kinda came
about the same time by coincidence.  The benefits I've received are
serendipidous and I'm trying to sort it all out & understand what's
happening to my body.  So please indulge me if you have the time & any
information to share!!!!

I've recently posted about how much better I feel since eliminating sesame,
reducing corn and adding sorghum to my diet.  This change reduces omega 6
EFAs, increases omega 3 EFAs, and lowers dietary oxylates, all three are
known to reduce inflammation.  I'm still a bit confused about what
intervention is responsible for what improvement, AND to complicate things
ever further, here's another factor I must consider:

In late April, I bought a 2 oz. dropper bottle of oregano oil & olive leaf
(Life Time brand) and began using it according to directions to help fight
off a cold I caught from my son.  The cold symptoms went away w/i a couple
days.  In mid May, I got cold symptoms again & repeated the treatment for
about 4 or 5 days.  Again the cold symptoms vanished very quickly.  After a
while, however, I began to notice that other beneficial changes had occured
in my body.  I won't share the details, but suffice it to say, every last
little evidence of candida infection seemed to have vanished from my entire
body.  About the same time I noticed these improvements, I did the sorghum
muffin thing above (mostly just for the fun of trying a new food), which
seemed to be the icing on the cake of my renewed vitality & well being.  (I
felt so good, I was euphoric, much like I felt when I first went GF!)

(I should add here, that it's been pointed out to me since posting about my
sorghum muffins that corn is a major inflammer and that the sorghum grown
for human consumption is not the same variety of sorghum that was found to
be a powerful anti-inflammatory agent in clinical animal trials.  But that
doesn't mean Bob's Red Mill sorghum isn't helpful, it just means, we don't
know for sure.  So it could be that the greatest benefit sorghum is to me is
that it's a yummy replacement for corn cereals & sesame rice crackers.)

I've done a little research about olive leaf extract & oregano oil on line &
come up with some pretty interesting stuff.  The last link has the most
specific information, but all three are interesting (and brief).

http://eregimens.com/regimens/Antibacterial%20General.htm
http://www.nutrasanus.com/olive-leaf.html
http://www.fungusfocus.com/html/oil_of_oregano.htm

What I'd like from you good folks is to hear if any of you have had any
personal experience with olive leaf extract or oregano oil -- good or bad --
links to articles, etc.  And, I'd also like to hear if you know of warnings
or recommended limits to using these products.    Because "If it's strong
enough to you good, it's strong enough to do you harm!" -- one of Dr. Jerry
Mixon's basic rules of heatlh care!

As an aside, I'd like to hear if any of you follow an oxalate reducing
diet/protocol, why & if you've experienced benefits therefrom.   I don't
know a whole lot about the oxalate thing, but I've read that excess oxalates
can cause both soft & hard tissue inflammation in SOME, but certainly not
all, individuals.  If I get plenty of responses about the low oxalate diet,
I'll post a separate summary about that becasue this inflammation thread is
getting really diffuse & cumbersome!

Valerie in Tacoma  (Sometimes I feel like a human guinea pig!)