From:
Steve Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:41:24 -0800

Well till I can afford a trip to the doctor I can use some advice.
  Self employed makes medical a pretty spendy thing. I am male and now
40 and used to weight 265 and now down to 237
  Anyway let me give a little bit of my history.
 I never really noticed any problems for quite while. But things have
been changing.
  I used to get upper respiratory infections about twice a year.  I
needed antibiotics to get over it. (I was eating a lot of wheat then) I
had heard about eating all raw foods and said what the hell I was sick
of being sick (I was just getting nice and sick then) and tried it. So I
ate all raw veggies and fruits and nuts and such. Though I would use
regular salad dressing on my salads.
  I felt fantastic I had tons of energy and was over the respiratory
problem in two days a record. Well I stood with it for about 1.5 months
but it was causing all my delta problems to become known. I am still
paying for that (G) because I am lazy about spending effort to eat I was
eating less and less. But I had learned eating grains made me tired. If
I at rice I was sleepy for a hour or so.
  Other grains I think were worse if I remembered right.
 It got me on track to eating low carb. But along the way I found my
arms ached like I worked them hard even though I had not. I found if I
ate enough fruit I was ok. But since then I never had a huge amount of
energy. I was thinking I did not eat enough fat as a low carber.   But
fruit made me feel better.
  It always seemed  I was on the brink of getting the respiratory
problems if I slipped on the fruit. But I finally found if I ate grains
(usually wheat or corn) more then once a week I would get sick. Two or
three times in a row and the symptoms would start up. And only eating a
lot of fruits and veggies would get me past it if I caught it in time.
  I was never sure if rice hurt or not.  Sometimes a hour after eating
corn or wheat products I would start sneezing or my asthma would kick
in. it is never bad but it told me what my body did not like. I could
get away with a piece of cake or a burrito once a week. But I have been
cutting down as I never feel that great afterwards.
  Some of the problems I have are symptoms. I have had diarrhea or
something in-between for years. Now I have to work hard to get a lot of
energy. I now ride my bike back and forth to work 10 miles each way.
Getting enough energy to get a good ride has been fun.
Right now I eat 3 scoops of protein powder (whey based) with some orange
juice) a couple of banana's and a grapefruit at about 8 am. I need two
or more hours to get the energy from the food. It starts at about 2
hours but if I can wait three I am far better off. That alone is pretty
odd.  Even the energy gels take 3 hours. Fatty foods take longer.
  I get to work about 11:30 and I am pretty hungry then. I used to be
worse before I found the protein powder. I get more energy from that
then the fruit. But both together is best.
  My lunch is usually low carb right now I went from 1/4# of a imported
salami or other meat and 1/4# cheese to 1/3# sometimes olives with that.
The meats are good quality and not junky so they should be GF free.
  Then at 3 I would have three more scoops of the protein powder and two
or three pieces of fruit if I had room for them. Since I have been
eating like this my rides are getting the fastest they have ever been.
  I am usually starving by the time I get home. Right now I have been
having a sausage and a couple of eggs and a bag of the pre cut salad.
That's about 600 calories for the salad and dressing. I used to just eat
the salad.
  With enough energy my rides are better and my asthma does not get to
be a problem.
 I am not full of energy but I don't usually feel tired.  On weekends I
get tired. I usually eat breakfast late and it is usually fried potatoes
some kind of meat and eggs or just spuds. Dinner is whatever I can think
of with a big hesheys bar or some ice cream. But I usually lay off the
fruit. Sunday eating is a bit better.  I don't usually eat any grains
now but I know they may be hiding in some of the sausages I eat. Or in
other oddball stuff. I don't eat a huge amount of prepared food anymore.

  I have had problems with stomach issues that seem to run in the
family. Acid reflux a lot to the point that if it happens while I am
asleep I breath it and that is a real pain.
  Stress seems to cause gas pains too. But that may not be part. I used
to get heartburn while eating a bowl of cereal.
 I have found lists of name brands foods but what about ingredients I
should loot out for?
  When I can I will visit the doctor but till then I might as well
finish changing my diet and see what happens.
 Does slow digestion seem to be a symptom? It can be pretty slow for me.
Before I was cycling I had a hard time eating enough food.