From:
Cheryl Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 19:34:16 -0700

on 10/16/02 Shannon O'Connor wrote:

> My guts been acting up again and the only thing I could tie it to was
> reactions to fructose-glucose.  If there is anyone out there with this type of
> intolerance/allergy and can tell me what it entails, what the symptoms were,
> ect. I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Here are the responses.
> Fructose intolerant
> Symptoms: huge amounts of gas, bloated and extreme pain in the abdomen--
> diarrhea.
>
> What happens: Body produces lactic acid (very dangerous) at a phenomenal rate
> from fructose. This damages muscles, organs, etc. Sucrose (sugar as we know
> it) is ½ fructose.

Shannon,

I found this article on Medscape a while ago, but it is no longer there.
The summary may be enough to lend validity to your concerns:

UNRECOGNIZED FRUCTOSE INTOLERANCE OFTEN UNDERLIES UNEXPLAINED GI SYMPTOMS
Many patients with unexplained gastrointestinal symptoms have fructose
intolerance.
http://www.medscape.com/44074.rhtml?srcmp=FM-102601

"Unexplained bloating, flatus, and distension are common GI complaints.
While much attention has been paid to lactose intolerance as a potential
cause, fructose intolerance has received relatively little
attention....[Researchers] administered a fructose breath test to 219
patients with unexplained GI symptoms. The patients were also given a
symptom questionnaire and assessed for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Nearly 80% of patients had a positive breath test. Furthermore, the
fructose given during the test reproduced the GI symptoms of 58% of
patients. Based on questionnaire results, 130 of 159 patients met ROME I
criteria for IBS."

Hope this helps

Cheryl Johnson