From:
Kate Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Dec 1994 00:15:53 EST

Karen Davis writes:

> Last month (Nov. 17th) I had a baby.  I am attempting to nurse, and my
> calorie and liquid requirements have gone up astronomically.  I also have
> zilch time for cooking, and less for eating (One hand is available when I
> feed her, sometimes).  I am on a GF, dairy-free diet.  Does anyone have
> any ideas/recipes for quick (I'll bake in bulk and freeze if I have to)
> and easy GF/DF snack-type foods that are healthy, nutritious, and can be
> eaten with one hand, sans utensils?  Any ideas appreciated.

I remember those days. Can you make a gluten-free pastry to wrap
things in so you can eat them one-handed? Freeze and nuke. What
things to wrap? Burritos (soft corn tortilla), don't go wild with the
spices, pizza-ish stuff, broccoli with cheese-substitute, etc.

Fresh fruit, while not high in protein, is easy to eat. You can even
set it down and finish it later. Sliced lunchmeats (without wheat
fillers obviously) are good too. Keep a batch of GF crackers handy.
Cold chicken (grilled) on the bone. Any kind of sandwich with GF bread.

Don't worry too much about eating and drinking enough. You only
need about 500 calories more: the classic axmples of that are a
penaut butter sandwich (use GF bread) or a fruited yogurt (hmm,
is there soy yogurt?). Drink only to thirst, no more.

Kate