From:
Susan Alintoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:53:09 EST

Hi Listmates,

Last Sunday I found myself sitting at the computer in my pediatrician's
office (yes, they have limited office hours on Sunday to see sick kids) for
more than half an hour, searching for info on the gluten free status of the
antibiotic he wanted to prescribe for my daughter.  She is allergic to
penicillin and this was the frist time since being diagnosed with CD that she
needed an antibiotic, so I didn't know what she could have. The doctor called
the pharmacist to ask if the med he wanted to give her (cefzil) was gf, but
the pharmacist wasn't sure. He tried calling 3 other pharmacies in the area,
and none of them were any help. Since it was Sunday we couldn't get help from
calling manufacturers. I finally offered to get online and research it while
he saw other patients and finally found it in the archives of this list. The
doctor was extremely frustrated (as was I) at the difficulty of obtaining
this information. I would like to give him a reliable, up-to-date source to
look up this info but don't know of one. I looked at www.glutenfreedrugs.com
but found at least one inaccuracy (it lists ambien as gf). How accurate and
up-to-date is the Clan-Thompson list (providing the doctors are willing to
pay for it)?  Obviously, the most reliable source is to call the manufacturer
of a drug, but on a weekend where can a doctor quickly find this information?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Susan in Ct.