From:
Bronwyn Syiek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bronwyn Syiek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:24:34 -0700

I wonder if anyone can answer my question about interpreting test results, or point me to where I can find the answer.

I have had the TTG/ IGA panel of tests run. The report comes back giving you:
- positive or negative on the results
- A value
- A reference range compared to the value
- A total count relative to a reference range.

My question is how do you interpret these numbers.  For example if you are above the range on one of the numbers, how do you know whether you are highly above the range, what percentage of people are above the range.  If you are positive on one but not the others, what does that mean. etc etc.

I have read the archives and I have read the recent email on the serological tests that came around.  Each of the pieces I have read concentrates on telling you why/ how the panel of tests determines whether you are Celiac but does not explain how to interpret the report.  Or at best, gives generic answers. I have seen the table that shows the sensitivity of the tests and the likelihood that one is celiac based on whether each test is positive or negative but this doesn't address my question.

Of course, I can speak with my doctor but I would also like to understand the statistics and analytics that he/ the medical community are using when they determine that you are/ are not Celiac from the panel and, whether the test value indicates the degree of the disease - if the value does indeed, indicate that.

Can anyone explain?

Thanks very much.