Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 11:30:03 -0700

Here is a summary of the comments I have received on the email I sent on
Barley and Rye.  Thanks for your input!!

I am going to do some further inquiries among food scientists at our
local universities.  Surely someone has done research on 1001 ways to
use barley!   I will post something more definitive when I have it.

CORRECTION:  Corn syrup DOES NOT contain barley.  Corn syrup can
sometimes be found in barley malt, not visa versa.  My mistake.  Thanks
to those who expressed disbelief that corn syrup would contain barley
and made me double check this.

Several persons said that not ALL rice syrups,  rice honey, or miso
contain barley.  Check the label.

Several said thank you.

Several asked for citations.  If you asked for citations and did not
receive an email from me, email me again.  (If you received several
emails, I apologize.)  I was having problems sending the files,
particularly the pdf file on rye and could not tell if an email was sent
or not.

One said that Barley can be hidden in herbal teas and the fermentation
process in Japan for soy sauces and wheat free tamaris.

One pointed out that barley in cereals, stews, soups, risottos, soy
milk, etc. is usually not hidden but indicated on the label.

Additional information on barley that I thought was useful  from
www.gfcfdiet.com/unacceptable.htm:
(1) Caramel Color ... may or may not contain gluten depending  on how it
is manufactured. In the U.S.A. caramel color must conform with the FDA
 standard of identity from 21CFR CH.1. This statute says: "the color
additive caramel is the dark-brown liquid or solid material resulting
from the carefully controlled heat treatment of the following food-grade
carbohydrates: Dextrose (corn sugar), Invert sugar, Lactose (milk
sugar), Malt syrup (usually from barley malt), Molasses  (from cane),
Starch Hydrolysates and fractions thereof (can include wheat), Sucrose
(cane or beet)." Also, acids, alkalis and salts are listed as additives
which may be employed to assist the caramelization  process.

(2) Rice Dream beverage production process utilizes barley enzymes.

(3) Rice Malt (contains barley or Koji)

Jackie in AZ