From:
Mike Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2011 08:23:33 -0500

Lin

Here are two recipes that were always big hits at parties. I've been
making Kahlua cake recipe for years. It's from an old copy of Gourmet
Magazine, which may not exist anymore. It has nothing to do with
gluten-free, so guests aren't struck by any omission of flour. It is
extremely rich. Serve small portions with a dollop of ice cream or
not-very-sweet whipped cream. Both the Kahlua cake and the almond torte
come out very thin, but they are extremely rich. They are sinfully
delicious. I made them as is. I did not attempt to adapt them for anyone
else's allergies and don't know how they'd turn out, if you tried. Lin

Chocolate Kahlua Cake

Ingredients:
7 extra large egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/2 pounds unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 pound European bittersweet chocolate, broken into small pieces.
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon espresso (I use strong instant coffee already mixed with water
and cooled)
3 tablespoons Kahlua

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300F. Grease and flour a 10 inch spring form pan.

Place egg whites and sugar in a mixing bowl and whip into firm peaks.

Melt butter over medium heat and add chocolate, stirring till
smooth....I do this on low setting in microwave.

Quickly add vanilla, espresso/coffee, Kahlua and chocolate butter to egg
whites and gently fold until smooth.

Pour into prepared cake pan and bake on center rack for 40 minutes.

Remove from oven. Wait 5 minutes and press sides down so the top of cake
is even. Cool and refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. Remove cake from
pan. Cut with hot knife into 8 pieces. Serve with berries or vanilla ice
cream.

Note: This cake is extremely rich. Do not give overly generous portions.
Whipped cream or ice cream cut some of the richness.

CHOCOLATE ALMOND TORTE

Note: I can't find my recipe, so I googled this, and this version looks
familiar. This one is from epicurious.com, and is not related to being
gluten-free. The one I recall is also very intense and should be served
in small portions with a dollop of something to cut the intensity. I
copied and pasted from a website, so I hope this comes out for you. If
not, just go to epicurious.com and do a search for it.

1 1/2 cups blanched slivered almonds
1 cup sugar
8 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
5 large eggs, separated
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled
1/4 teaspoon salt
Powdered sugar

preparation

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 10-inch-diameter springform pan with 2
3/4-inch-high sides. Combine almonds and 1/3 cup sugar in processor.
Blend until almonds are very finely ground. Transfer almond mixture to
medium bowl; do not clean processor. Add chocolate and 1/3 cup sugar to
processor. Blend until chocolate is finely ground but not beginning to
clump, about 45 seconds; stir into almond mixture. Using electric mixer,
beat egg yolks and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in large bowl until mixture
falls in heavy ribbon when beaters are lifted, about 5 minutes. Beat in
almond extract and lemon peel.

Fold in chocolate-almond mixture, then butter. Using clean dry beaters,
beat egg whites and salt in another large bowl until stiff but not dry.

Fold whites into chocolate batter in three additions. Transfer batter to
prepared pan.

Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs
attached, about 40 minutes. Cool cake completely in pan on rack. (Can be
made 1 day ahead. Cover; store at room temperature.) Cut around pan
sides to loosen; release sides. Sift powdered sugar over cake.
Nancy

One of our favorites that I serve in the summer mostly but could
definitely be served in the winter is:

Get a bag of frozen berries and defrost the appropriate amount.

Do a scoop of ice cream, then berries on top and drizzled with homemade
choc sauce which I do by putting semi sweet choc chips in microwave bowl
or glass measuring cup with a splash of milk. Microwave about 30 seconds
and stir the microwave about 30 more and stir til chips are melted. then
add a sprinkle of cinnamon and a llittle bit of vanilla. Yummy.

You can serve with GF cookies or GF brownies or just by itself. Good luck