Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 12:26:51 -0500

Another idea for the superallergenics like those on the PDD Diet -

Use the following recipe for the dough and follow regular directions for the
filling:

Gluten-Free Cutter Cookies/Piecrust

Even my gluten-eating daughter loves these - the true test of a cookie.  I
bake these a lot - thus all of the editorializing:

Preheat oven to 350.

Bowl:
2 1/4 cups tapioca flour
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. guar/xanthan gum (omit for piecrust)

Blender or Food Processor:
1 cup Filberts/Macadamias
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla

Grind the nuts very fine.  Add contents of food processor to bowl and mix.
Roll into balls and flatten.  Bake on greased cookie sheet at 350 for 10 - 15
(?)  minutes or until they begin to turn golden-brown.  I like them a bit
golden - they're crispier.  I highly recommend investing in an Airbake cookie
sheet so as not to burn your GF cookies.  Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

This dough rolls out on a potato-starch-floured board quite successfully to
make cookie-cutter cookies (dinos are a big hit around here.)  It also makes
an excellent pie crust - flaky and delicious.  Cover the edges with foil and
pre-bake for 15 minutes before filling.  I always use macadamias - very
inexpensive at my warehouse store.

I admit, when I'm in a hurry I just start with the nuts in the food
processor, then add the other wet then dry ingredients one at a time until I
have my cookie dough.  It works ok for me, but you may prefer not to cheat,
depending on your food processor.

Rolling it out, then flouring and folding several times, then rolling quite
thick and cutting with fluted circles would probably result in something like
an English scone, texture-wise.  A few raisins, some clotted cream & jam...

Karyn