Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 1995 11:59:11 -0400

Just finished reading about one month's worth of this list.  Had a lot of
catching up to do.  Have been very lucky with my Celiac.  Had a GI man who
knew about it and had a regular doctor who knew about it and was always
careful when prescribing for other ailments.  Only glitch came two years ago
when I lost half of my large intestine to an abcess when my appendix died and
caused perintonitis.  Dietitian at the hospital had not had any experience
with celiac but knew what it was.  I saw a notation on my chart that I was
not eating; possible obstacle in my gut.  Wasn't that at all; they weren't
giving me anything I could eat.  Even after explanation, gave me cream of
wheat one morning.  My GI man calls me his "odd bird" and asks me for
information.  He mentioned that he had been to a conference and they were
told that they should consider Celiac in patients over 60 who come in with
our symptoms (?).  On notation on the timing of results from eating unknown
gluten: it usually takes me 24 hours to have a reaction.  Hope to make the
Baltimore conference.  Learned a lot at Detroit in October.  Great to know
that I am not alone.

Gluten free for 18 years in Maryland
Barbara Hardisty
Lanham, MD