From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:01:15 -0800

Whew!  Did I get an education & an ear full on this one!  It's apparently
a very controversial topic.

        Non-GMO means Non Genetically Modified Organism as in fish DNA being
spliced into strawberries & tomatoes to make them resist freezing
temperatures, gluten producing genes being spliced into potatoes to give
them a more complete protein, insecticide resistant genes being spliced
into corn & accidentally entering the human food market. GMO's contain
the genetic material from a number of unrelated species.

        Most replies expressed fears that we may in the future end up
with gluten in our previously GF foods such as potatoes, corn, beans,
etc.  At any rate, here are some highlights of the responses I received:
~genetically modified foods aka frankenfoods ~Genetically Modified
Organisms, like "Round-Up Ready soybeans." ~There are instances where
allergic reactions occur because a gene has been spliced into what would
have been a safe food for someone (barley with brazil nut genes is one
that pops to mind). ~Soy (non-organic)is one of the most heavily-sprayed
and genetically altered foods on the planet.  One particular breed of
GMO soy is called Round-Up Ready. ~ http://www.purefood.org
http://www.greenpeople.org ...great info on GMO's. ~Non-genetically
modified.  That be a good thing. ~You can count on GMOs being present in
EVERY food product that isn't labeled "No GMOs" or "GMO-Free" because
the FDA does not require the labeling of food that contains GMOs...If a
wheat gene is inserted into some other product, the FDA does not
consider this harmful & does not require it to be labeled as wheat is,
said to be fit for human consumption. WE know just how much damage that
could REALLY cause for us...  People with food allergies will have no
idea what they are really eating unless the product is labeled. ~Say NO
to Frakenfoods!  No GMO, GE, Biotech, or altered foods in our food sources!!!

[log in to unmask] ~ I won't get into the politics
of whether this is safe or not. ~ I see it as a positive as long as it's
well regulated and the consumer is well informed.  Who knows, with
genetic engineering, it may someday be possible to create a safe wheat
for celiacs? ~...in Prince Edward Island they engineered a gluten
bearing potato -yep you read that right.  Unfortunately, in Canada, the
law does not require them to disclose that the potato is genetically
modified and contains gluten - not even for seed potatoes. Can you
imagine not even being able to trust your potatoes to be safe. ~Customer
Service, Authentic Foods http://wwww.authenticfood.com

~Valerie in Tacoma, WA