Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:18:21 -0500

Crab Cakes

3 tablespoons butter

3 green onions (white & green parts) chopped

2 tablespoons GF flour (whichever one you like the best to thicken)

1 cup milk

1 pound  white  lump crabmeat picked over for shells & cartilage & drained
of as much water as possible.

30 GF salty crackers  crumbled finely  with a rolling pin

2 eggs lightly beaten

1/2 teaspoon salt

Use more crumbled crackers as the outside coating for frying the crab cakes.

Olive oil for frying

Instructions:

Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat (cast iron skillet if
you have one works best).  Add the onions and cook, stirring for about one
minute.

Alternately add the flour and milk, stirring constantly, to make a smooth
and thick white sauce.

Remove from heat.

Add the crabmeat, cracker crumbs, eggs, salt.  ( Can add 1/4 teaspoon
cayenne and 1/8 teaspoon Tobasco sauce if you like)
Gently mix together and set aside to cool completely.

Gently shape into patties whatever size patties you like.  I get about 10
because my hands are not that big and I shape them to the size of my hands.
The recipe says you can get 6.  Dredge them in the cracker crumbs,
completely and evenly.

If you wish you can chill the mixture in the refrigerator.  I like to put
this together early in the day and let it  sit in the fridge for a while.
This is not necessary but it helps the mixture to hold together better.  I
like to separate them with wax paper and freeze the ones that are extra for
another time.   That way I can peel them apart and cook them when I have a
craving for them.

Fry the patties in hot olive oil that is about 1/2 inch high in the pan.  2
or 3 minutes on each side till golden is enough.  Drain on paper towels and
serve warm.