From:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 2008 09:40:09 -0500

 From our local paper, by J. Cromley of the Los Angeles Times:

Title: "Going Gluten-Free Even those with no medical need are
modifying their diets. But is it healthy?"

Under the caption (picture of Redbridge beer, K-Toos etc...), "beer,
crackers, penne: They're available gluten-free now. But going
gluten-free without a clear medical need is ill advised, experts say."

The article goes into marketing trends (v. good info here), the
proposed autism link, and lastly into a "downside" blurb about
"self-diagnosers."

"We see some self diagnosers who have read about celiac disease on the
Internet or heard about it from a friend and have made a kind-of
self-diagnosis. This can cause unnecessary worry, dietary
restrictions, and expense, he said." It later goes on to say, "Those
who elect to go on the diet need to ensure that they are getting
plenty of B vitamins, particularly folic acid..."

Then in the last pgphs: "gluten-free" is referred to as a quirky
health kick. "If you just google the silly thing, there's all sorts of
dieticians and medical professionals against it. They're just not
organized yet to [band together and] say, 'You know what? This is
ridiculous.'"

Wow! I have so much to say about this article my head is spinning - I
think it might explode!

Please send me your thoughts. I will summarize!

Megan