From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 19:11:13 EDT

I had heard that Dr. Murray had made a statement (hearsay) that he never saw
gallbladder disease without the presence of CD.  I thought this was a broad
statement and wondered if it were true.  I inquired if anyone knew if this
was a real quote from Dr. Murray, because it had such broad implications.
Many people asked that I post a summary.  Unfortunately, I only received one
related response.  I was pointed to Ron Hogan's site (A very informative site
on conditions related to CD, and certainly worth a look/see) Here is the web
address.

http://www.gluten-free.org/hoggan/

These are some quotes from Ron Hoggan's research:

"Gall bladder disease or malfunction is often associated with celiac disease.
It can cause pain in the upper right quadrant of the abdomen, just at the
lowest rib on the right side. In one study of 1300 celiacs in Canada,
9%indicated that gall stones were the earliest presentation, sometimes
followed by many years prior to correct diagnosis of their celiac disease....

I (Ron Hoggan) did a Medline search on cck and celiac disease. I got 65 hits.
Researchers repeatedly identified a connection between celiac disease and
gall bladder malfunction"

I have been complaining about a pain at that place in my abdomen for many
years, and doctors cannot find anything wrong, but never tested me for
gallbladder disorders.  It seems to have gotten better lately.  Perhaps this
is an answer.  My husband had his gall bladder removed, and although people
are saying that I see CD in so many people, I wonder if he also has it.  That
might account for the high incidence in my grandchildren.

Carol in NJ