From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:52:17 -0700

A couple more things:

(1) Acacia gum and gum Arabic are two different names for the same thing.
The only difference might be it's country of origin & perhaps a different
variety of acacia tree. (Kinda like Louisiana yams & sweet potatoes: same
plant, just grown in different locations.)

(2) Yesterday, I shared my gum Arabic containing granola experience with you
as sort of a follow up to previously posting a specific link:
http://www.helpforibs.com.  This site offers recommendations & remedies for
sufferers of IBS.  From this site one can order Heather's tummy powders, one
of which is powdered acacia (or gum Arabic).  The benefit I derived from
Heather's website is her excellent dietary guidelines for IBS, which have
been very helpful for me.  I haven't tried any of her tummy powders.

Before trying that gum Arabic (acacia) containing granola I posted about
yesterday, I had no personal experience with this natural substance.  Now I
do & found it to be very constipating.  Eeeewww!  However, I believe the
reason is I have the constipation type of IBS, not the diarrhea type.  I
don't want to discourage any of you who have chronic diarrhea from trying
gum Arabic (acacia).  It may be the perfect "fix."  After all, Heather, a
"recovering" IBS patient, swears by it as do many of her readers.  There's
only one way to find out if gum Arabic helps you, and that's, of course, to
try it.

Valerie in Tacoma