From:
Diane Caleca McGee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Caleca McGee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:39:57 -0400

I finally got to put this together.  Thanks to all who responded:

There are many options to choose from. The Hershey Lodge has a
restaurant that has gluten free options
http://www.hersheypa.com/dining/grill.html

 Cuisine
. Premium steaks, seafood and pasta
. Children's menu available
. Gluten-free and vegetarian options
. Grill does not use artificial trans fat in any menu items

Here is a blurb from the HersheyPark website
http://www.hersheypark.com/food_and_shops/healthy_food.php

Gluten
Guests with Gluten allergens can review menu ingredient listings on our
website for gluten free options. Gluten bread/rolls can be given as a
replacement for non-gluten free rolls in the following locations:
Minetown Restaurant, Craftbarn Kitchen, Decades and Crustano's. For
gluten free rolls and bread please see a Food & Beverage team member.

Also there is the following restaurants I have found. Harrisburg is only
a 10 or 15 min drive away from Hershey.

http://www.carrabbas.com

http://www.charliebrowns.com/StoreLocator/locate.cgi

I found it very hard to eat there and in most of Lancaster County. Bring a
lot of your own snacks.

Right outside of the park there is a hamburger place, Red Robin Gourmet
Hamburgers
It is at the corner of Hershey Park Drive and Park Avenue.  You can
order a burger wrapped in lettuce.
We asked about the buns and were told they are not done on the grill.
We told them about needing to
be gluten free and they told us what we could eat.  Neither my husband
nor I had any problems.  Our
celiac daughter has other allergy issues as well so she carries her own
food.

In Hershey Park just after you come thru the gate, on the left side a
little ways in is a Kosher place
but we seem to always be there when they are closed (Sat).  They have
chicken available but that is
all I remember from the menu.

There is a Wendy's and a Red Robin just outside the park.

You can go to their website and look under food and shops, then under healthy food options. There is a paragraph about gluten.
You can also contact the local celiac support group. Linda Weller, [log in to unmask]
We went last summer and had a great time!

We had great success with gluten free food at Hershey Park.

When you enter the park, a short distance on the left is a kosher eatery
called Central PA's Kosher Mart that had gf rotisserie chicken. If I recall
they had a sign posted of what items on their menu are gluten free.

In another part of the park they sell huge turkey legs that are gluten free.

I just went to their website to see if I could figure out the name of the
outdoor restaurant where we had the turkey legs and found this statement -

"Guests with Gluten allergens can review menu ingredient listings on our
website for gluten free options. Gluten bread/rolls can be given as a
replacement for non-gluten free rolls in the following locations: Minetown
Restaurant, Craftbarn Kitchen, Decades and Crustano's. For gluten free rolls
and bread please see a Food & Beverage team member."

We also had no problem from anyone who worked there when we asked to see
ingredient lists.

Outside of the park we ate at the Hershey Grill which is a restaurant in the
Hershey Lodge (hotel). They are open for lunch and dinner and on their
regular menu they have asterisks on all the items that are gluten free. The
food was very good and the staff knowledgable. They were even able to modify
a non-gf menu item for my son so it was gluten free. It was nice to have a
normal dinner and not worry about what we could and could not eat since it
was very clear. If you want a nice meal instead of fast food, I would highly
recommend planning a meal here.