From:
Emerisle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2006 17:44:52 -0700

I had some wonderful responses....  thanks to everyone that wrote!  Because of the details and context, this was the best way to summarize.  Sorry for the length.  Beth

  --When I drive, I take GF cookies, peanut butter, GF pretzels, crackers, dry cereal, snack bars, dried fruit, fresh fruit, pudding cups, fruit/jello cups, tuna in an aluminum pouch and a cooler with yogurt, string cheese, boiled eggs.  If you're flying, you can most of what I mentioned except the peanut butter.  For some reason they take that away in the security check.  Also take your restaurant card for eating out.

  --if you are going by car you can take a cooler and fill with gf bread or whatever you need. Fantastic foods now marks their soup cups as to gluten content and have several good flavors we can have. I always take my own crackers and even used them in Paris with the cheese served at b'fast each day. I took my own salad dressing packets - some Kraft and Ken's dressings (many are gf) can be purchased from www.minimus.biz. It's an awesome mini size website. I even got gf soy sauce and honey packets from them as well as individual Purell hand wipes. Recently while on a mini vacation I used my own crackers for a goat cheese olive spread that was served with bread. There is rarely an app. that is safe in the US so I munch on plain crackers if I'm hungry and others in our party order apps. I can't have. If you stay in a hotel try and get a empty mini fridge to store fruit, cheese or whatever and tell the hotel why you need it so they don't charge you extra for it. Most places
 will give you one for free. --Several recommended the Gluten Free Restaurant Awareness program (http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/index.php)
  --You can usually find food at restaurants if you think about it - Breakfast - bacon, eggs, fruit.  Lunch - salads, hamburgers or "sandwiches" without the bread
Dinner - "plain" grilled meats, salads, potatoes, vegetables (also
plain or with butter).  Many motels offer breakfasts, but a lot of them are slim on GF
offerings.  I always bring rice cakes and peanut butter.  They don't require
refrigeration and provide a basic meal of protein and carbs.  Tuna in foil pouches is
another convenient food that doesn't require special handling.  Snack-size
peanuts are another good source of easy protein.  (Protein stays with
you longer than sugar-filled snacks)
-- Always bring more snacks (or non-perishables) than what you expect to eat.
When I bring a plastic container of cookies, somehow I finish them off long
before the trip is over, and I regret not bringing more.  Cereals are also
good to bring.
-- Tiny bottle or some individual packets of soy sauce like La Choy Soy Sauce.  Individual packets of Annie's Dressing or if you can't get them a bottle of olive oil and a bottle of appropriate vinegar for salads.  GF seasoning or seasoned salt, GF bars,
  Almond or peanut butter, Crackers, Thai Kitchen noodle soup mix, Fresh fruit and veggies, Barbeque sauce if you have a cooler, Trader Joe's Red Tuna Panang or Yellow Panang, GF Organic Corn chips if you have the space, Nuts, Remedies in case of digestive upset, Aluminum foil to cover cookie sheets or other pans that may not be GF.
  -- If you are speaking of out of the country travel, try a cruise.  They all know how to do a GF diet and it makes travel very easy.  We have taken a half  dozen cruises in the 7 years since I was diagnosed.
  --  The best tip I can give you as a person who travels for business a lot is when booking hotels, book at extended stay or suite hotels with kitchenettes. I have put together a cook kit that includes basic cutlery, canned foods, a can opener, and my favorite snack foods.  There are whole foods,Markets, Zagara's, local health food stores and many available foods even in regular supermarkets that work very well.  I only carry those foods that may be tough to get such as gf crackers, canned soups (though I rarely eat them), and gf pastas. Everything else I buy locally, with canned fruit in pop top lids one of my favorites. The suite type hotels usually don't cost more than $10-20 a night extra if you plan ahead, and they will have a cook top, microwave, refrigerator, and pans available.  My preference is for Windham Suites hotels (http://www.countryinns.com/reservation/clearReservation.do), and I have cooked full meals from pasta Alfredo to homemade soups when I stay at
 them.  Many times it is easier to cook my own meals, especially when arriving late, than to play 20 questions with an uninformed waiter.  I also carry a copy of Triumph Dining's restaurant guide (available on line or from Mr. Ritt's) with me for those times when I want to eat out. If you can plan ahead, and inform a restaurant of your choice, you will usually fare better
  -- Try going to www.goodhealthpublishing.com  for a list of 105+ national/regional restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free items.  There's also a gluten free dining card that can be presented to restaurant personnel to ease the ordering process.
  -- Breakfast is the hardest meal out.  Bring cereal.   You can order hard boiled eggs or grits.  Bring crackers, peanutbutter and canned tuna or canned chicken or turkey.  It is easy enough to go into a grocery store to pick up salad, fruit, rice cakes and peanutbutter if you are going to be near any shopping at all.  Eating out can be easy enough if you are not too fussy about what you have.  Most resturants will do plain chicken, fish, burger, salad, baked potato.  Be careful of rice as most times they are cooked in a broth.  If you order cooked veggies ask if they are done in plain water or if they are cooked in pasta water. Bring snack bars if you are traveling by air.
  Travel is not easy but it can be done and you can eat fairly healthy.  Fast Food:  Wendy's-- you can eat potato, plain salad, chilli, and a frosty.  Chilli's Resturants put up a new GF menu every month.
  --  Do you have a restaurant card?  That will be the most helpful; if not get Jaque Peters book Against the Grain there is a list of foreign language restaurant cards in the back.