From:
Beth Hillson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 15:04:37 -0500

Dear ListServ Subscribers,

I received several responses to my question about gluten-free aspirin.  I
must truly have been in the dark on this issue!  It seems that Bayer aspirin
is gluten-free.  (Their number is 800-331-4536.)

Several people are taking one baby aspirin each day.  Most use St. Joseph's
brand (no longer called "baby" aspirin due to the association with Reyes
Syndrome).  Many other people are taking one Ecotrin (coated) aspirin each
day.  (That is a full-strength, 325 mg., size.) One person added that Stokes
Guide lists Ecotrin as gluten-free.

One person said they are taking Bayer 81 mg adult low strength aspirin.
Other people mentioned the following as gluten-free brands that they have
taken:

Costco Brand
Norwich Brand
Albertsons brand baby aspirin
Halprin (162 mg.)

Excedrin

One person pointed out that it is important to review other medications with
your physician before taking apsirin.  If you are already taking blood
thinning medications or supplements like ginko biloba or vitamin E, you may
want to be careful about introducing yet another blood thinning product.  A
couple of people said that, when they took adult strength aspirin, they
experienced bruising around the knees and other areas of the body.

As with any new product, it is always a good idea to check with the company
about its gluten-free status and with a health professional to determine if
it's right for your particular situation.

Thank you to everyone who responded.  It was a big help for me

Beth Hillson
The Gluten-Free Pantry
800-291-8386 ext. 101
www.glutenfree.com