From:
G Lee Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 16:26:48 -0700

Here is the summaries I received:  does not look like we can get Sorghum
or garfava flour in Canada!

******************************

http://www.akins.com/hh/wgf_flours.htm

Found this while seatching for bean flour - lots of things to order.

********************************

Here is some good reading.....
http://wheat.pw.usda.gov/ggpages/topics/

*************************

I've tried to locate sorghum flour everywhere I can think of in my area
with no success.  I had several replies from people who are also
interested in finding this product but no one can find it in a health
food store.  One response read "in my book sorghum is indien millet and
celiac people may reacte to it."  The ethnic section in Superstore has
millet flour at a reasonable price but I haven't tried it myself.

I also phoned a couple of suppliers with the following responses:

"Kingsmill Foods does not sell sorghum flour, and we do not use this
product.   I have checked Specialty Food Shop at Sick Kids Hospital in
Toronto, and Grain Process, Toronto, and neither carry this product. I
understand that sorghum is a corn flour from the southern United States
and is used extensively in Britain and Europe. It is available from The
Gluten-Free Pantry in Glastonbury, CT @  US$5.95 for 5 lb. They have a
minimum order of 25 lb. so that doesnt's sound too good. Their toll free
# is 800-291-8386 website is www.glutenfree.com.  Live-n-Well in
Richmond BC may bring it in. Check in a month if still interested. They
do Mail Order business and the toll free # is 877-270-8479. Bette's
bread better be good!  Peggy."

**************************

"Presently, we do not sell any sorghum flour.  We have looked into the
idea of carrying JOWAR but have not yet taken a decision on this.

Best Regards,

Steven J. Singer
President
Glutino.com"

****************************

Canadian Celiac Association National Office
190 Britannia Rd. East, Unit 11
Mississauga ON L4Z 1W6
1-800-363-7296
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Hope they can help.

*****************************

Try Bob's Red Mill,503-6514-3215, fax 503-653-1339.  5209 s.e.
international way, MILWAUKEE, OR 97222.

**************************

We recently purchased both the Garfava and Sorghum flours and they are
both the Authentic Foods brand.  I looked at their web site and they
don't seem to supply any retail stores out of the US.  However, you can
buy through email at their site:  www.authenticfoods.com

Association which is published in cooperation with the Canadian Celiac
Association. It is Full of Beans by Violet Currie & Kay Spicer, ISBN
0-9695688-1-9, published by Mighton House. The book states that
gluten-free whole bean flour is available in 2, 5, and 10 kilogram bags
at Grain Process Enterprises Ltd., 39 Golden Gate Court, Scarborough,
Ontario M1P 3A4, 1-800-387-5292, or through mail order from the Ontario
Coloured Bean Growers ssociation, Association Office, R. R. 5, Mitchell,
Ontario N0K 1N0, (519)348-4141.

This bean flour is not exactly the same as the garbfava flour from
Authentic Foods in San Diego, California, which is made from garbanzo
beans and fava beans. I don't know if you would get the same results in
Bette Hagman's recipes. I suggest you get some bean flour and
experiment. I have looked at stores in Victoria and can't find these
either.

As neither fava (Windsor) beans nor sorghum are popular in Canada they
may not be available.

If anyone has them it will be the big natural food store in Vancouver
"Famous Foods".  If they don't have them prob no one will.

It was the same for me, but I just ordered them from Authentic Food at
this address:  http://www.authenticfoods.com/manufacturing.htm
I have made her French bread, English Muffins, Bagels, and all were
delicious.

Sorghum flour is available in Indian food stores but called jowar (or
jawar) flour. I have used bean flour for the garfava flour and this can
usually be purchased at bulk stores. Hope this helps.