From:
"Pierce, Sydney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 08:51:00 -0400

        The *Tufts University Diet & Nutrition Newsletter*, in an article on
"Genetically Altered States"  (May 1996 issue, page 1), also discusses
the implications of the research mentioned by Terry Simeone--the transfer
of the Brazil nut allergen to soybeans in genetic engineering.  According
to the newsletter, the FDA only requires (1) that the company notify the
FDA if a known allergen is likely to be transferred and (2) that if tests
prove this to be the case, the problem be discussed with the FDA.

        Does this leave it up to the company to recognize what might be a
problem? To decide what should be reported and tested?  To determine what
is done if there is indeed a problem?  It certainly sounds so to me.  But
all I know is what I read.

Sydney J. Pierce
Hillsborough, NC

P.S.     For those who'd like to read the articles for themselves but don't
have a medical library handy: I found summaries of both the Tufts
newsletter article and the New England Journal of Medicine report (March
14, 1996 issue) in the IAP Expanded Academic Index database (also called
Infotrac), which is available in many university libraries.