From:
Jerry Nagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 16:35:06 -0400

There were 29 responses - Some were just happy to see that someone had
addressed the issue (3), others had specific solutions. Of those with
specifics, 9 used the oven to bake their bread, 6 mentioned they used a
bread machine (Welbilt and Zojirushi were the two brands mentioned), and
12 didn't mention the method they used.

A summary of the comments follows:

Oven method -

I add a pinch of baking soda and use regular, not fast acting yeast,
mixed only 2 minutes - use less liquid so it's the consistency of cake
batter.

Make sure your liquid is no hotter than 105o. I use disposable alum.
Pan, topped with another one with holes punched it in. Don't fill the
pan more than 3/4. Bang on the counter, then cover with a towel to rise.
Don't let it rise more than 30 mins. Check after 20, and if it's at the
top of the pan, put it in the oven. Make sure you pre-heat the oven to
400o, use an oven

thermometer to check the temperature. Bake for 1 hour, 10 minutes, DO
NOT OPEN THE DOOR! Take out of the oven, out of the pan and cool on a
wire rack.

"With Authority" - Leave the bread in the oven to cool with the door
ajar, you may need to shorten the baking time to compensate.

I've only made it once, it was a bit beany for me (referring to the
Bob's Red Mill mix I used), but it looked lovely - used an electric oven
and it didn't sink.

I stopped using the bread machine and use regular loaf pans (smaller
ones) or biscuit type rolls - I also replace 1/2 cup rice flour with 1/2
cup sorghum flour.

I struggle with this too - I use Bette Hagman's butter basted white
bread recipe and lay it on its side to cool for 10 minutes, then on the
other side for 10 minutes. It still sinks, but not as much....and I use
a smaller pan.

Cut down on your mixing time and use smaller pans.

If you can, cool the loaf upside down. Some ovens are quirky about heat
distribution, try using a different shelf.

I never have any problems with Bob's Red Mill Bread mix. I beat the eggs
first using the kitchen aid mixer. Then I mix the rest and beat that
too.  I use a glass loaf pan and a Pyrex bowl. It comes out so nice and
just like wheat bread.

Bread Machine Method -

The dryer the better - it's good when it makes a big ball at the bottom
of the pan, if it sags to the walls it's too wet.

How about cutting a little bit of yeast out?

I use Bob's mixes all the time in a Welbilt machine and have had no
problems. I do add a little MORE water to the mix and have perfect bread

every time.

I use a machine and have the same problem sometimes. If I leave it in
the machine to cool a bit it helps - I use the Red Star Yeast recipe
from their website.

Ours does OK in the Zojirushi bread machine - Is your oven at the right
temperature?

You should WEIGH your ingredients, much more precise (this from a couple
in the UK, where measuring is often done by weight)

No mention made of method -

Mine rose on one side and collapsed on the other - it had a huge air
hole - I considered not letting it rise at all or making one big loaf
and one small one to cut down on the volume.

How long are you mixing it? Longer or shorter might help.

What recipes of Bette Hagman's have you tried? I haven't found one yet.

You can't always depend on directions or recipes. Your description is
classic for too much liquid. Reduce the amount of liquid by 1 tablespoon

every time until it comes out right.

Ah! The joys of gluten free bread making! Too much yeast can cause the
bread to sink. I use this bread (Bob's Red Mill) with great results! Is
your oven temperature right? Are you mixing by hand? I do and it turns
out well - are you letting it rise enough?

Your rising time is too long - Bette Hagman says letting it rise too
much will make it develop a hump on top and have a hole in the
middle...or it

crowns too high and then sinks.

The most common reason is too much liquid.

Is the yeast getting mixed in enough?

Too much yeast or letting it rise too high?

I use Bob's also, the last two times it sank, the first time it didn't.

Did you cook it long enough?

The Consensus -

Too much liquid - 4
Too much yeast - 2