From:
Linda Vogue <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Vogue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:34:08 -0700

This is an update to yesterday's summary post re: Lipton Onion Soup Mix and the ingredient autolyzed yeast extract (barley).

The box which lists this (barley) ingredient has the same barcode as the one I called Unilever about yesterday (413620).  So, I now have two boxes of the soup mix, with the same barcode, and different side-package Nutrition Facts and ingredients.  Below are the two versions of the ingredients. The Nutrition Facts are expanded on the second box, but the differences are minor and I have not included them.

One individual wrote to me and asked for my source re: the autolyzed yeast extract (barley) information.  The following box information is all I have.

The person who wrote to me having the same issue with Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix ingredients, said there is a study in Canada to determine whether or not there is actually gluten in the autolyzed yeast extract (barley) or if it is so minimal that it wouldn't cause issues for a person with Celiac disease. To her knowledge there isn't an answer yet and she has been advised not to use the product.

Several people wrote saying they had found the ingredient change on the Lipton Onion Soup Mix and had stopped using it. For many, it was 'new' news.

Hope this helps,

Linda Vogue
Oregon Coast

Box #1 Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Recipe Soup and Dip Mix
Barcode 413620
Best if used by Feb1611
Ingredients:
Onions*, salt, cornstarch, onion powder, sugar, corn syrup*, hydrolyzed soy protein, caramel color, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, monosodium glutamate, yeast extract, natural flavors, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate.
*Dehydrated
Made in a facility that processes milk, egg, soy, wheat, sesame and sulfites.
Distributed by: (c) Unilever
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632 USA
Made in Canada

Box #2 Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Recipe Soup and Dip Mix
Barcode 413620
Best if used by Oct1411
Ingredients:
Onions*, salt, cornstarch, onion powder, sugar, autolyzed yeast extract (barley), caramel color, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, monosodium glutamate, corn syrup*, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, sulfur dioxide (used to protect quality).