From:
"Mary R." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 14:22:38 -0400

This morning, I finally visited a company in Spencer that packages dry
goods- flour, beans and the like, mostly for an ethnic customer base.  This
company has been in business for 100 years (no kidding, since 1895) but
they recently opened to the public on a cash and carry basis on Fridays.
Don't ask me why this company is doing this kind of business out of
Spencer- I asked but didn't find out!

While I was there I got a price list to look over, and bought a 25 lb. bag
of rice flour for $8.62- that's 34.5 cents /lb.  If I'd known the full
product list, I would have gotten 24 x 11 oz. bags for the same price,
which comes to 36 cents/lb.   They don't seem to have potato flour, but
have split pea flour, tapioca starch, and corn flours of all kinds, plus a
bunch of other stuff, including plantain flour and yam flour which sounds
interesting (Martha Stewart had a Filipino guest making lumpia, a crepe
made with yam flour). Some items are called only by their Spanish or
Portugese names- anyone out there that can translate?

If you want to send me an SASE, plus a 20 cent stamp to cover photocopy
expense, I'll copy it and send it.   If you'd like to combine orders, we
could see what we could work out.   They will package in any size bag one
would want.   It's not too inconvenient for me to get there since I live
only about 10 miles away in Van Etten.  It would make quite a savings in
our GF cooking to get supplies there- I asked Greenstar about buying in
bulk and it's only 5% off the per pound price.

Mary R.