From:
Beth McLoughlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 11:23:00 -0700

     Sorry for the delay in more info on this.

     For those who find the chart confusing, my best advise is to look at
     it like a family tree, i.e., the "species" are children and the other
     groups are parents.  Don't let the latin snow you.  The part I found
     interesting were the relationships between grains.

     No, I'm not a biochemist, but just looking at how wheat, barley and
     rye are more closly related than oats explains to me why many celiacs
     can tolerate oats (though they are still not recommended on the diet).

     It's just an interesting chart, and a starting point for those who
     find it worth looking into more.

     As for a reference, I found it, without a reference, in a publication
     from CSA. Again, I just thought it was interesting, and for those who
     want to persue it more, a good botony reference book should have more
     info.

     Beth