Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 97 15:37:46 EST

I received quite a few responses refgarding my inqueries on Ginkgo Biloba.
No one offered anything to indicate it may help a gluten allergy - certainly
nothing on gluten intolerance.  Most indicate it can help with memory
situations.  The vast majority of responses asked me to post the results.  To
date this is what I have received:

<<
I've read about Ginko, but thought it only helped with the brain
fogginess associated with celiac.  I've been hesitant to try it in
case it irritated my stomach.

I heard Gingko Biloba is a Chinese herb used to increase memory and
circulation.  I haven't heard it was good for CD or gluten intolerance.

 I have learned that Ginkgo Biloba is a herb most often used to
improve "cerebral insufficiency" (a general term for a collection of
symptoms: difficulties of concentration and memory absentmindedness,
confusion, lack of energy, tiredness, decreased physical performance,
depressive mood, anxiety, dizziness, and headache) by increasing blood
circulation.

Some studies in Europe show that Ginkgo can lessen asthma and allergy
symptoms.  However, since Celiac Disease involves an intolerance, and not
an allergy, I would be surprised if the herb helped.

Sure is a lot of mis-information out there.  Ginko is great for breathing
problems and for aiding memory.  Celiac is not wheat allergy.  It is a
genetic defect that prohibits the digestion of gliadin.  Nothing can change
us at this time.  Medicine hasn't come up with genetic re-engineering, yet.

This is a Japanese flowering tree which is botanically interesting
mainly because it has fan shaped leaves, and is thought to be the "most
primitive" flowering plant known.

   According to "Prescription for Nutritional Healing", Ginko biloba
is used to 'improve memory loss, brain function, depression, cerebral and
peripheral circulation, oxygenation and blood flow.  Good for tinnitis,
asthma, alzheimer's disease, heart and kidney disorders and glucose
utilization.'

        Nothing in this book about wheat.

The ginkgo tree is indeed from China, but it is widely planted in the
United States as a shade tree.

Considered a living fossil (the ginkgo has shaded dinosaurs in its
time), it has fan-shaped leaves about 2 inches across, often notched
at the top curve of the fan, and the leaves turn a very pretty yellow
in the fall. The branching pattern is very angular and irregular. The
female ginkgo has squashy, smelly fruit that look a little like
large, pale cherries. You may have a ginkgo tree in your
neighborhood, just like I do!

If you don't have a nearby ginkgo, the dried leaves are often
available in health food stores. I have never tried its medicinal
properties, but they sound impressive.

If I heare any more that expands/contradivts/enlightens on this subject I
will be sure to post it to all.

Thank you for all that resonded to my request.  This list and all of you
out there are truly wonderful contacts!!!

Chris Woodcock
Wayland, MA