From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 10:56:19 -0400

I am in agreement with Dr. Fasano that the only way I would follow a GF diet
is to be 100% sure that I had to.  It is not a diet I would choose to follow
had it not been for being tested.  As I've said before the only reason I was
tested was that my son was diagnosed.  I would still not be following a GF
diet if he had not been so ill and diagnosed with celiac.  Yes, when I
finally got a doctor that said "probably celiac, but we HAVE to do a biopsy
to make sure", I said no problem.  I figured what was required was a
diagnosis and if a biopsy was the only way to do, then so be it.  I would
not have wanted to do a GF diet for a 20 mth old, that puts everything he
could reach into his mouth, if there was no need to.  I know in Canada here
all my medical is covered by insurance and I'm not sure the cost of a
biopsy, but I would think the money involved would be minimal compared to
the lifetime costs of a GF diet if the diet was not necessary.

 Yes, some doctors have no apparent knowledge of the condition, while others
can spot it and follow thru with diagnosis.  Two of my major concerns
regarding celiac is 1) public awareness, including the medical profession
and 2) labelling laws for  full disclosure of ingredients.

Thanks for listening.  I am just a celiac and the mother of a celiac, so
this is in no way  medical advice just what I have learned from our doctors.

Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada