Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 16:47:48 -0400

Hi,
Only received a few opinions - I guess we all have to decide for ourselves - additional comments welcome!
Peggy nh

Any gluten from a grain-based flavoring is not safe for Celiac.  I
know, because I was eating Stoneyfield flavored yogurt and frozen
yogurt and was getting sick (this after being gf for 7 years).  I
finally called the company and they said that they used a grain-based
flavoring and were not going to change it.  I quit eating it that
very day and about one to two weeks later, was feeling better.
Grain-based alcohol or flavorings is not safe for celiacs.

I find this answer very interesting.  I always wondered how "natural
flavors" could contain gluten.  If this is true for Stoneyfield, maybe that
explains how it is done by other manufacturers.  Recently, I have read tha
grain alcohol isn't really a problem because the gluten  doesn't exist after
the distillation process.  This reply from Stoneyfield actually encourages
me to try other things with only natural flavors as the taboo item on the
ingredient label.  I guess everyone has to make his own decision, though,

This
cannot be a source of gluten, so don't worry and let your son have
the yoghurt.  The consumer relations people are just being extra
cautious, as is their responsibility.
For this reason, I have not worried about most natural flavors,
particularly vanilla and fruit flavors.  The manufacturers of these
flavors do not want any contaminant in their extracting alcohol, and
will use distilled alcohol.