From:
Kim Carpenter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 23:05:54 -0600

Leaky Gut Summary

Suggested web sites:

http://www.afpafitness.com/LEAKGUT3.HTM
http://www.healthy.net/library/articles/galland/Leakygut.htm

*****

Leaky gut = Nutrients pass through/are absorbed into the blood through
the intestine wall.  Normally these area (spaces or holes?)  are small
enough to keep large particles of undigested food or even bacteria from
passing directly into the blood.  Damage to the gut or inflammation cause
by it causes the spaces to be larger than normal and allow particles that
should not be absorbed to pass into the blood.  (A good visualize this is
to think of it as putting a pair of XS fishnet stockings on an XL
lady--same number of holes, just much larger than they are supposed to
be.)  Interesting article by Lisa Lewis called An Experiemental
intervention for Autism Understanding & Implementing a gluten & casein
free diet...October 1994.  Talks about diet-autism link & how improperly
digested milk & gluten protein sequences resemble opiod compounds &
disrupt neruo function in the brain.  Healthy gut doesn't allow these
protein to pass into the blood.  A cookbook from Lisa Lewis is also
available (Miss Robsen's web site might have it).

*****

Candida in fungal form can put down `roots' into the gut wall, allowing
large molecules to pass through into the bloodstream.  Food molecules,
bacteria and/or chemical toxins cause an immune response by the body, an
attack by antibodies and the start of a cycle of immune response,
inflammation and antibody-antigen reactions.  The symptoms that result
can range from local inflammation and smooth muscle spasm (as in asthma
and irritable bowel syndrome) to systemic problems.

Results of the preliminary inflammation of the gut:

1.  The gut does not properly absorb nutrients, leading to fatigue and
bloating.

2.  The absorption of large food particles creates new food sensitivities
and new symptoms with potential new targets for the storage of antigen
antibody complexes such as in the lungs (asthma) or the joints
(arthritis).

3.  Damage to the proteins whose job it is to carry minerals across the
gut wall, causing potentially, multiple nutrient deficiencies.

4.  Damage to or breaching of the gut wall's detoxification capability,
leading to new chemical sensitivities and potential overload of the
liver.

5.  Interference to the gut's protective coating of immunoglobulins,
resulting in decreased defense against bacteria, protozoa, viruses and
yeasts.

6.  Spread of infection due to the `escape' of bacteria and yeast from
the intestine.

7.  Formation of auto[anti?]-antibodies due to leaking of body tissue
look-alike antigens:  with the possibility of rheumatoid arthritis,
lupus, mult iple sclerosis etc.  have their genesis this way.

Any sign of abnormal flora suggests an imbalance that could be causing
inflammation:  whether this is candida, parasites or food poisoning
organisms such as giardia.

Dietary supplements to heal intestinal membranes:
butyric acid (as serine butyrate)
DGY licorice extracts
FOS
GLA (essential fatty acid from oils like evening primrose oil, black
  current oil or borage oil)
magnesium ascorbate
N.A.G. (N. Acetyl Glucosamine)
probiotics (Acidophilus, bifido bacteria & L. casei)
Vitamin A
Vitamin U (Cabagin)
zinc ascorbate
***
A few books you might want to check out are all of the ones on
Candida or the Candida related complex or the "Yeast
Connection"....especially by the auther W. Crook.

*****

There was a big article (a couple of pages) about leaky gut in Newsweek
magazine back in November 1997.

*****
You will find some info in the archives of the list. I also once did
a medline search on "intestinal permeability" and "allergies" and
found some interesting info. Basically, leaky gut (intestinal
permeability) can be caused by any type of inflammation, including CD.
And having increased permeability makes you more sensitive to
allergens, including airborne ones. I myself have had a dramatic
decrease in my airborne allergies since going GF.

*****

After discovering that I had CD, and going on a strict gluten-free diet,
I still suffered from various problems, seeming to be allergic to every
kind of food imaginable.  I had a number of different tests taken,
without much luck.  Finally, through the Cambridge, Mass based Marino
Clinic, I was able to take a relatively simple and inexpensive intestinal
permeability test.  Test results showed clear and severe permeability
problem.  It took a long time, but through diet and appropriate
supplements, after a couple of years, I feel much better, and recently
had another test which showed permeability problem solved.  However, even
now, I still have a sensitivity to certain foods.  The company that does
the actual testing is called Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratories, at
www.gsdl.com.  Would highly recommend that you get the test.  I believe
it was under $100, and involved drinking a bottle of sugary liquid
substance, and then collecting urine for a number of hours.  If it comes
back positive, there are a number of specialized supplements, including
an excellent powder called Ultra Clear Sustain.  However, I found that
what did the best for me was a very strict, hypoallergenic diet, for at
least three months, or more if you can stand it.  That means no gluten
(obviously), soy, dairy, egg, corn, rice, alcohol, or whatever you may be
sensitive to.  That way immune system gets to rest.

*****
My nutionist gave me the following formula to take which was agreed to
by the allergist/internist who had orginally diagnosed the celiac.TAKE
With each meal one l-glutamine capsule 500mg and one pro biotics
ACIDITOPHIULUS SUPPLEMENT. The glutamine is an amino acid and also
helps digest fats and sugars. ProBiotics is a mulit strain acidophilus.
This helps re-establish the gut. I felt better in a short time and was
no longer lactose intolerant within six months.

*****
My md who is a homeopath told me to take VERATRUM ALB 30C d2 pills under
the tongue as needed when I have a gluten attack. It stops it cold
without any side effects. It is available in health food stores.

Thanks for all of your responses!

Kim