From:
Andrea Hawkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrea Hawkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:42:45 -0600

To the listserv,

Thank you to all who responded. I got many responses and here is a summary.
Andrea

I use Thorne Research recommended by my doctor. He also gave me a sheet on what to look for and not look for in vitamins:
"There is a tremendous difference between high quality vitamins and minerals and low quality vitamins and minerals. High quality vitamins and minerals are capable of making a profound positive impact on your health, whereas low quality supplements may do absolutely nothing at all, or worse yet, contain additives such as sugars, food colorings, preservatives, or even toxic contaminants. The following are some simple guidelines for evaluating the quality of a supplement.

Quality supplements do NOT contain:
  methylcellulose
  carnauba wax
  starch
  sugars
  gelatin
  artificial colors
  fillers (although the filler in the vitamins he recommended contain leucine and silicon dioxide, so I guess maybe he means excessive fillers)
  preservatives
  wheat, yeast, gluten, corn, or soy
  anything that isn't an active constituent in the supplement

There are some general guidelines for evaluating your multivitamin. First, if it's really cheap, then it's really cheap. Capsules usually dissolve better than tablets. And if it says one a day, then it definitely doesn't come anything close to covering all of your bases. It should not contain iron unless you have been diagnosed by a physician as being iron deficient.

The form of the nutrients included is also extremely important. Many nutrients are poorly absorbed and poorly utilized by the body. Evaluating the following three nutrients is a quick method for evaluating the overall multivitamin. If it contains any of the following, then avoid it:

  -calcium carbonate (should contain calcium citrate)
  -magnesium oxide (should contain magnesium citrate)
  -vitamin E acetate or dl alpha tocopherol (should list d alpha tocopherol)

The highest quality supplement companies also use strict quality controls and chemical analysis when producing their supplements to ensure that they contain only the finest nutrients and that no contaminants are present. Many of these supplements are only available through your physician."

Members Mark Advanced Multi with Herbs is gluten free. I called the company, and they reasured me that it was GF. I have been taking them for 6 months, and I haven't had a problem with them.   They are out of Bentonville, AR, The telephone number is: #1-888-667-8678, and they aren't too expensive either!

We use Schiff brand-liq. or chewable, they have a full dose of folic acid.

I just recently got iron and calcium supplements from
www.freedavitamins.com.  Everything they sell is gluten-free.  I'm not sure
what you can get thats gf at a regular store - I was just recently diagnosed
and called Vitron-C, which I had been taking.  Their rep told me it could
have traces of gluten.   Then I found Freeda on the internet. Their phone is 800-777-3737 and e-mail is [log in to unmask] There is a brief write-up in the new CSA
Gluten-Free Product Listing  which is just out. It is updated and published
annually. The e-mail is www.csaceliacs.org and phone is (toll free)
1-877-CSA-4CSA

Try Country Life, they have a list on their bottle and they're not too
expensive.

I believe the Carlson Brand is gluten-free.

I know you have probably seen some information on here about Juice Plus
already. The simple fact is that fractionated vitamins don't work. Studies
are starting to show that they may even be dangerous in some cases. You're
better off with whole foods. I attended a talk with Dr. Richard Dubois
tonight about the product and heard a lot of information about new studies
coming out. I talked to him in particular about celiac disease and gluten.
He said, "We won't know this until the new test is done, but we think there
is 0 gluten in the product." Right now the Celiac Sprue Association says
that if you test at <200ppm gluten you are gluten-free. That being said, I would be glad to answer any other questions you have. The
bottom line is that our bodies are made to process the synergistic nutrients
in whole food, not fragmented, man-made vitamins.

Stresstabs with Iron

Theragran-M, all Centrum vitamins, One-A-Day

Go to www.puritan.com. They have all sorts of vitamins and food supplememts
that are gluten free. You can read their labels online. They always have
good prices and offers. I also ordered a very good book there: Nutritional
Healing, by the couple Balch. I always have the book at hand for any
information in this field. I've been using their products for years now. Let
me know if it was succesful.

Nature Made states Gluten Free right on the bottles.  I purchase them
from Target, Farm Fresh, and most any drug stores and grocery stores
too.  Their web site is www.naturemade.com .

Futurebiotics makes (2) excellent gluten free multi vitamins- I personally alternate betweem the two-
           Futurebiotics Vegetarian Super Multi
           Futurebiotics Advanced Woman's Formula Multi

Kirkland brand at Costco

I just picked up the Solgar brand VM 75 that are gluten free.  I called the company before making a purchase and they said the only types of (multi) vitamins that are NOT gluten free are the VM 2000 & Earthsource vitamins.  They have different types of multis for men, women, and differing serving sizes (i.e. 1 a day as opposed to 3 a day).  I got the 1 a day (which was a bit more expensive) because I didn't want to take three big pills a day.

At whole foods, the best brand I have found is "Pioneer" - they seem to be aware of the malabsorption problem most celiacs have.

Trader Joe's has great GF vits and supplements

Twin Labs makes a one a day that's gf. They have two formulations--with and
without iron.

Confidentiality Statement:
This email/fax, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this email/fax is not the intended recipient or his or her agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email/fax is prohibited. If you have received this email/fax in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and deleting this email or destroying this facsimile immediately.