Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2011 21:17:43 -0500

I'm going to convert a wonderful banana bread recipe to GF and have two
questions.

1.  Do I use baking soda or baking powder? The non-GF recipe calls for 1 tsp
soda, 1/2 tsp salt, but a GF recipe I looked at called for baking
powder...I've always been confused about when to use one or the other or
both.

2.  How much xanthan gum do I use for a quick bread? I'm using 2 cups of
flour mix - the recipe, as is, before conversion, is rich and not heavy, but
also not a sandwich bread. I don't want my GF verson to be too dense, but
not crumbly (not asking for much, huh?)

Thanks for any help anyone can offer...this is the first GF quick bread
(other than biscuits) I've made since being on the diet 10 years. I prefer
not to use a mix - usually too much sugar. I also use Hagman's Featherlight
flour mix...

Cheers~~
Ayn in Kansas