Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 02:15:34 -0800

Getting towards or perhaps in menopause, I am concerned over the use of
calcium tablets. Since celiac disease affects your bone density, I
thought I was playing safe when I bought a brand from a health food store
that says no artificial colors, flavors or preservative, no chemical
solvents, yeast or gluten. These are made from oyster shells. While
reading in a vitamin book, the book states that oyster shells are not a
good source. One claims calcium carbonate is best and some say calcium
citrate is better. Does any doctor, pharmacist or chemist???? know what
is best?

Also, HRT estrogen therapy was suggested but there is so much cancer in
my immediate family, that I am thinking twice on this. Can your bone
density be increased by calcium, exercise and such. I mean all natural?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cindy in NJ