From:
Danielle Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Danielle Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:26:28 -0500

Hi! Here are the compiled responses!

1. In my mind, the answer to your question is not straightforward.  Most
Indian foods have numerous ingredients, specially spices.  Whether the dish
is GF or not would depend on the source of these ingredients.  The issue of
cross-contamination is a big one when we use numerous spices.

2. We eat channa masala and bang an Bart ha.  Many of the vegetarian dishes
at our local restaurant are GF except my favorite, Saag Paneer.  The owners
are willing to make a batch for me without flour but I have to call a day or
more ahead of time.  The flat bread, papa dam is also GF.

3. I eat the papadam bread, which is made of lentil flour.  Make sure it is
not cooked on the same griddle as the wheat flour breads.

Coconut curries are gluten free.  They do not use wheat flour in any sauces,
so I've found that most dishes are GF except a few that are battered and
deep fried.  I love palak paneer (I'm sure I'm spelling some stuff wrong).
Palak paneer is creamed spinach with chunks of "cottage cheese" which is a
homemade soft cheese not like our cottage cheese.

4.  Most Indian food is gluten free except the chapattis, of course. I
couldn't say about specific dishes, but I go to Indian banquets from time to
time, and that is the case. I know the chef...and he will tell me where the
gluten is...

Protecting Animals, USA | P.O. Box 60904 | Chicago, IL | 60660 |(773)
338-3038 | HYPERLINK "mailto:info@protecting"[log in to unmask]

HYPERLINK "http://www.protectinganimals.org/"www.ProtectingAnimals.org

Would you like to receive PAUSA's hard-copy newsletter?  Reply with your
home address!

---