From:
The Bradens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Bradens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:21:44 -0500

Hi everyone,

I waited a good while to see if I would get any more responses than the few I had from the first couple of days after my post, but I didn't get any more. See my original post below and then the responses. I also posted a second, clarification post after the one below to show that I was actually walking in Chicago, not anywhere in VA since someone asked if there was a walk in VA. In the latter post, I posted the links to both the Susan Komen walk and the Avon walk so that those interested in participating in a walk could check out locations and additional information. Here they are again if you missed them and would like to check them out more. www.the3day.org (Komen) and www.avonwalk.org (Avon).

Hi all,

I am considering doing the Susan Komen breast cancer walk in September.
I have clearance from my doctor regarding doing the walk itself and have
lots of time to prepare, but I was wondering if anyone here has done
such a walk before. My main concern is the food that will be offered.
There's no way I could bring my own food for all three days and I don't
see how that would work logistically once I brought it. On the
registration form, you can check if a vegan meal is required, but that's
the only special consideration shown. It's possible that enough choices
are offered that I can choose foods that are gluten free, but I just
don't know. I do plan to call on Monday, but was just wondering if
anyone else has any knowledge or experience in the walks. I will
summarize.

Thanks so much,
Shirley in VA

Messages included:

Sympathy on the difficulties of eating GF for such an event and good luck wishes.

_______

Having dealt with similar issues for distance biking events, is anyone in your family going to be traveling with you?  Can someone carry a cooler and help keep you in GF food to supplement what's being served on the event stops?

Alternatively, you might want to check with the organizers and ask for an extra item in your baggage allowance, so you can pack nonperishable items to carry with you on the walk.  Are you using a belt pack of any kind as you walk?   Granted, it's more weight to walk with, but you definitely will want to eat enough to get you through 3 days of walking.  See if you can speak with the coordinator or chairperson who will directly be dealing with the food stops, to get an idea of what is served -- e.g., fruit?  Are they using generic Gatorade (might not be GF), or the real thing (Gatorade and Powerade are, in fact, GF)?  I've gone so far as packing my own Gatorade powder, measured into little ziploc baggies, so if I can't determine what's on offer, I can mix my own with the water they will certainly have available.

Definitely test the foods you're going to use on the event well before you do the walk -- changing your diet suddenly can really throw off your GI system, but if you've tested the same foods on your training walks, you'll know what your body digests well.  Make sure you learn to eat thru the day, so you get consistent calorie input as you walk.

Other ideas:
Ener-G's granola bars are very calorie dense -- they break up a bit, but the hazelnut paste provides lots of energy.
GF energy bars
Orgran fruit bars (I like the blueberry ones)
Energy gels -- GU and Hammer Gel are GF
Higher calorie and fat cookies

Best of luck -- congrats for taking this on!

and then a follow-up when I responded to this support group leader/listserv member:

No problem!  Over the past year, I've seen a number of posts from other
athlete-types (cyclists, triathletes, runners) -- we're all trying to
figure this stuff out together, so we can do our events!!  I also keep
talking up CD to the representatives I meet from the various energy bar
manufacturers -- they are _so_ missing out on a market, with us.  At
least on a bike, I can pack a pannier or trunk bag; not like I'm having
to haul it all myself in a backpack or beltpack....

I really hope you get to do the walk -- all the best!  ;-)
___________

A reply from a member who has supported the walk as a crew member, once before diagnosis and once after diagnosis.

I have been a crew member (volunteer during the 3 days of the event) while on the gluten-free diet during the 3-day event.  I spoke with the 3-Day organizers, and I had to bring one cooler of gluten-free food labeled for each day and each meal with my name on it.  Every morning I had to go to the food trailer and ask them to provide me with my food for lunch and then in the evening I did the same thing and they would heat my food for dinner.  To be honest, it was a pain, but it was better than eating nothing.  Breakfast was fine - there was yogurt, eggs, meat, potatoes, etc. I don't know how different crew lunches are from the walkers, but I could eat the chips and fruit, but mostly they served sandwiches and gluten filled foods, so I would eat food that I had prepared at home and stored in their refrigerated trailer.  I brought pizza with me, but as a walker in the hot sun, you may need to stick with foods that do not require refrigeration.

They will not offer you any gluten-free foods - you will need to bring your own.  They told me flat out that there are over 3000 people to feed and I was one of very few who had separate food needs so they could not accomodate any foods for me.  I didn't participate last year, so maybe things are different now, so please ask them.  Be prepared though to bring your own snacks for the walk (as a crew member, we provided mostly gluten containing foods, but there were baby carrots and peanuts you can eat) as well as lunch and dinner.  Dinner is usually pasta or something with gluten, but you can eat a salad.  That was about it.

Best wishes on your walk and maintaining your gluten-free diet!!!  It is a wonderful experience.  I have done it twice now (once before I was diagnosed with Celiac and once with Celiac) and it was very rewarding.
____________

A reply from another member who is planning on doing the Chicago Komen walk also:

I am planning on doing the walk too but in Chicago.  I did not think about the food issue.  Let's keeping talking to see how they can accomodate us.

My friend who is doing the walk in Chicago posted on the message board for those participating in the walk. She was given an 800 number to contact the coaches. I called and spoke to a coach who confirmed what the person above who had served as a crew member had said. I would have to bring all my food on the first day of the walk and turn it over to those serving the food. Then each time I was ready to eat, I'd have to go ask for it and they would heat it up necessary.

I also emailed one of the organizer's staff and got the following response:

We can definitely provide for you at each meal.  Breakfasts will have eggs, bacon, fruit, etc.  Dinners are typically a chicken breast, or pasta meal.... Pasta I think is an issue, so what my medical director is saying ( and this is what other people with Celiac do) is pack a cooler with meals that you know will definitely work for you.  Because we don't have a "set" menu, this is the best way to assure that you'll have everything you'll need, but you will also be able to eat/drink everything that we have available that you would know is safe for you to eat.  We will be able to transport everything for you, all you need to do is bring it with you to Opening Ceremonies on Day 1.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.  Also, once you register, you will just need to tell your Coach about your dietary needs and he/she will be able to arrange everything for you.

In closing, I have decided to do the walk. As I don't live in Chicago I will have to buy all my food when I arrive at my friend's house before the walk and prepare it and put it in a cooler, handing it over to the crew when I arrive for opening ceremonies on Day 1. I will take the advice of carrying GF bars and snacks with me in a fanny pack. Last, although I only got a few responses they were very positive and encouraging and that is greatly appreciated!! I am anxious, but excited, that I have decided to accept this challenge and support this worthy event. My mom has just finished treatment for breast cancer and my cousin is in her sixth month of 15 months of treatment for breast cancer. I will be walking for them and so many others. Thanks again for your support!

Shirley in VA