From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 06:17:15 -0700

Hi All--

I didn't get all of the recipes in - so here are more good recipes that do not contain bean flours and less or no rice flour. Sorry for the omissions.....I received so many replies that these were on the second page of my inbox. Oops! Thanks a bunch to these listmembers who took the time to write....maybe I'll have more than one favorite bread....if I'm not allergic/sensitive to yeast.
_____
Well I'm not a great baker, but when a have a taste I'm inclined to keep it simple.  Roben Ryberg's "the Gluten Free Kitchen" is where I turn.  The recipes call for only cornstarch and potato starch for flours.  No gritty rice, no gassy bean flours. They bread is tasty but best served hot.  Yeast gives it flavor.  There is a sourdough recipe that has a bit more flavor.
I've experienmented a bit and with some added eggwhite powder and more liquid I've turned out a lighter loaf.    If hotdogs are on the menu I use chebe bread with a favorite cheese
and wrap the hotdogs with my hands and bake about thirty minutes. They are easy to slice one side and add condiments before serving or eat as is.  "Cause you're special scone mix is a good breakfast or desert cake. They are not gritty either and easy to make.  I don't roll them out just drop a spoonful on a cookie sheet.  the size is up to you.  I put a dab of jelly in the center or leave them plain. I've used flavored yogurt. They are kinda basic with lots of possibilities. They will keep for a day or two if sealed tight.  Warm them just a bit to serve.
I have no financial interest in any of these products.  There just one's I've found I can work with.
_____
A favorite of mine is Bette Hagman's Cornstarch Bread on page 92 of The Gluten-free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy. It uses cornstarch, potato starch, 2 T sweet rice flour and 3 T. finely
ground pecans, walnuts or almonds as "flour". It is a nice soft white bread that is good "fresh" the first day or two, then very good as toast.  It doesn't have a gritty texture at all.
_____
Bette Hagman's book "The GF Gourmet Bakes Bread" has a recipe I like. It is a yeast-free rice bread. I think it is on pg 146.  I changed the flour by substituting 1/4 cup of almond meal and it tastes like cake to my family.  A few times I have made it, my bread may have a little area
that is not done, so I have been trying to figure it out.  Also, the recipe calls for additional water if needed, so far I have not needed to add any water. Do you have this book?  You can find it at the library. Best wishes for your search for wonderful bread.
_____
Bette Hagman's book "The GF Gourmet Bakes Bread" has a recipe I like. It is a yeast-free rice bread. I think it is on pg 146.  I changed the flour by substituting 1/4 cup of almond meal and it tastes like cake to my family.  A few times I have made it, my bread may have a little area
that is not done, so I have been trying to figure it out.  Also, the recipe calls for additional water if needed, so far I have not needed to add any water. Do you have this book?  You can find it at the library. Best wishes for your search for wonderful bread.
_____
This may meet your requirements. This recipe appears to be very close to Bette Hagman's Cornstarch recipe on page 92, "The Gluten-free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy". I have been using this recipe for almost a year and it is definitely my favorite. Hope you like it. Makes great french toast.

        Ethel's GF Cornstarch Bread

1-1/4 cups cornstarch
2-1/2 tbs.  potato starch
2     tbs.  sugar
3/4   tsp.  xanthum gum
1     pkg.  yeast
        Whisk together

1     egg white
Put in a one cup measuring cup and add water(as hot as your hand can
stand) to make a scant cup. Add to the dry ingredients and beat for
three minutes. Let rise for 15 minutes. Add

2-1/2  tbs oil
3/4    tsp salt
Mix well and put in loaf pan. Let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in
size. Pre heat oven to 450 degrees. Bake for 25 minutes.
I spray the baking pans with oil before filling and sprinkle sesame
seeds on the surface of the loaf. Let cool before slicing.
I usually make two loaves at a time. Doubling the amounts of the
ingredients is very convenient.
_____
I believe your best bet would be the Almond bread, in my "Best of Mireille" recipe collection: [Delphiforums.com] 14862.2
_____
I belong to a group that really helps with recipes and other goodies. They make the products and offer the recipes for us to use. One place with great work is at Tom's and here is his web page.We ask you not sell or offer the recipes elsewhere as yours but give Tom all the credit.

www.livingglutenfree.org
_____
Flaxseed Meal Bread

Dry Ingredients:
2 cup flaxseed meal (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1 cup chopped pecans (or almond meal, hazelnut meal...)

¼ cup +1/8 cup Splenda (or sugar)

1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

Wet Ingredients:
5 beaten eggs
8 Tbsp Flavored syrup*
5 Tbsp olive oil

*You could probably use an extract in the syrup’s place.  I use Atkins sugar free syrups (hazelnut, raspberry).  They are GF along with Da Vinci syrups. Pre-heat oven to 350F
Mix together all dry ingredients in a bowl.  In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients. Spoon dry ingredients into wet and mix well (don't beat like crazy, but be sure it's mixed well or the eggs do funny things!). Immediately transfer batter to greased loaf pan.  Bake for 35 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.  (Note:  The flaxseed meal turns a slight green color after it’s baked).  Remove from pan immediately and cool before slicing. I slice the bread into 16 as follows: slice lengthwise down the center, then cut each half into two equal halves on the short axis and then in half again. Store these in Tupperware/Rubbermaid in the refrigerator - they keep just fine for the 8 days.  It’s really good with butter or cream cheese.
_____
do you have the recipe book by Bette Hagman?  "Gluten-Free Gourmet".   it is excellent. It has a tapioca bread recipe.......very good......... it contains 2 c of rice flour and 1 1/2 c of tapioca flour......
_____

French Bread

Rating: Excellent

Serves: 12+

Time to prepare: 2 ½ hours

4 t flax meal

3 ½ t xanthum gum

1 c water

1 t egg replacer (powdered form)

1 c brown rice flour

1 t salt

½ c sorghum or garfava flour

1 ½ t sugar

½ c tapioca starch

2 pkgs dry gluten free yeast (I believe 1 pkg=2 ¼ tsp)

¼ c stone ground corn meal

1 t cider vinegar

¾ c potato starch [flour]

1 ¼ - 2 cups warm water (105 – 110 degrees)

2/3 c powdered milk (still in powder form)

Olive oil

Prepare flaxmeal. Whisk flax meal and 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to boil; simmer for about 5 minutes; stir occasionally. The mixture will become slightly thicker. Set aside.  Combine dry ingredients. Combine brown rice flour to yeast; blend thoroughly. Add flaxmeal mixture.

Add cider vinegar and 1 cup of warm water to the flaxmeal mixture. Start mixing the dry ingredients on low speed; slowly add flax meal mixture. Increase speed of blender to medium; add more water until you have a very thick cake-like batter. (Do NOT let the batter get too runny.) Beat on high for 4 minutes.

Preheat oven 400 degrees. Spray French bread pan with Pam. Sprinkle pan with cornmeal until completely dusted.  Spoon bread dough into two pans. (Don’t worry, the dough is supposed to be more runny than normal bread dough.) Using a pastry brush and olive oil, brush the tops of the loaves to smooth them out. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm, draft free place to rise for about 20 minutes – or until the loaves about double in size.  Bake for 35-40 minutes. They are done if the loaves sound hollow when tapped. Cool on a cooling rack.

_____

Everyday Best Bread

1 cup bean flour mix (see below)

¾ cup tapioca flour

1 cup cornstarch

2 ½ tsp. xanthan gum

1 tsp. unflavored gelatin

2 Tbsp. brown sugar

1 tsp. salt

1 egg plus 2 egg whites, OR 2/3 cup liquid egg substitute

1 tsp. vinegar or 1 Tbsp. dough enhancer

3 Tbsp vegetable oil

3 Tbsp. dark corn syrup

1 2/3 cups water (scant)

1packet or (2 ¼ tsp.) yeast

Bean flour mix
1cup garfava flour

1 cup tapioca starch

1 cup cornstarch

If using a breadmaker, follow their directions. I found that it is too large for my Zojirushi. I had to take out 3-4 large soup ladles-full and bake in a separate loaf pan in my oven. One of the girls in my support group, however, has a Panasonic and it worked fine for her. If using bread pans, mix the dry ingredients well in the large bowl of your electric mixer. In a smaller bowl, place the water, yeast and corn syrup until the mixture foams. Add the rest of the liquid ingredients to the yeast water.  SLOWLY stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then beat on the lowest speed of the mixer (otherwise you will have flour all over the kitchen). When all is incorporated, beat on the highest speed of your mixer for at least 3.5 minutes.

Fill the pans 1/3 full, and let it rise to just above 2/3 full, then Bake at 350 or 375 degrees until it is brown and sounds hollow when you tap it. Remove from pan to cool on rack. You will just have to work with it. But it tastes great.

If you want “rye” bread, just substitute molasses for the dark corn syrup, add 1 Tbsp. freeze dried coffee powder, and 2 tsp. dried orange peel, plus 4 tsp. caraway seeds if you like them. It’s absolutely amazing! Happy baking!