From:
kieran or donna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kieran or donna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:13:45 -0600

Re duck eggs for baking.  Since gluten free flours lack the stickiness that bread making requires, anything that makes dough or batter stick together better can be handy.  I'm assuming that the protein in duck egg whites is "stronger" for holding ingredients together.  I had read in years past that duck eggs should not be cooked at too high a temperature as it would make them tough, and that an overcooked goose egg would make an excellent sink stopper.  We've eaten duck eggs boiled, fried, scrambled and in baked goods, and I can't tell any difference in flavor or hardness.  My husband says the duck eggs taste creamier.
    The whites of duck eggs look more translucent, both raw and cooked.  Chicken egg whites are very clear raw, and very white cooked.   One difference I see is that it's harder to get raw duck eggs out of the shell.  Chicken eggs slide right out with weak watery looking whites, duck eggs cling and I have to scrape the white free of the shell.  Duck eggs don't keep nearly as well as chicken eggs, something to keep in mind if you buy a dozen and think you're going to take a long time to use them up.  I have read that eggs can be cracked into ice cube trays and frozen with either salt or sugar to help them keep.  I personally think that they'd freeze just fine in the shells, and then you'd just take out exactly as many as you need and thaw them.  On really cold nights sometimes eggs in the barn will freeze, and my only complaint about them is that they won't keep after they thaw out because it cracks them.  They also probably wouldn't make a nice "over easy" fried egg because freezing ruptures the yolk, but otherwise they cook and taste just fine.

Someone responded that she grew up with ducks, and that pot luck dinners revealed people who reacted to duck eggs but not to chicken eggs.  I'm quite pleased to hear this, though I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.  After all, look at all the babies raised on goat milk because they are allergic to cow milk.
    Then it was pointed out that what livestock eat can affect some very sensitive people, and this might account for someone else who had a very bad reaction to chicken eggs.  Two people have said that they don't react to touching egg white, so that test won't work for them.  Scratch tests are said not to be very accurate for food allergies.  If you can find someone who's good at AK testing, and can get some eggs to test, I'd go that route.  You can read up on "muscle testing" aka "Applied Kinesiology" and do it yourself.  With enough tests, you'd have a pretty good idea in advance of whether a certain species of egg would be bad for you.  If I didn't know anything about AK, I'd want to find someone with lots of practice.  As I am pretty familiar with it, I'd have confidence in anything that tested strongly several times with different testers over several days.  Weak or inconclusive tests I'd be leery of.  I'd test with a chicken egg, then a duck egg, and with several other good and bad foods.  Most people will test weak if they hold sugar.
    So for those who have had to avoid eggs and anything baked with eggs, this info might add some nice things to their lives.  Over the years I've met people raising all sorts of fowl, and they often have more eggs than they intend to let their birds raise. The list of eggs that I can think of turning up for human consumption:  Duck, Muscovy duck, goose, guinea, quail, pheasant, peacock.  Also the emu and ostrich people have seen their hopes turn to dust and unsaleable eggs, so they too have eggs to spare.  I think one ostrich egg is equal to 25 chicken eggs.  You might do better to freeze the whites and yolks separately on them, using the ice cube tray trick.
    For those of you in the big city, oriental groceries often stock duck and quail eggs all year round.  (Caution:  Do not buy "Balut" eggs or you will be very upset when you crack them!  These ethnic delicacies contain boiled ducklings.  The high price should give a clue.)  For those in small towns, feed stores and local flea markets may provide leads on who has poultry.  Many neighborhoods that forbid chickens don't mind a few ducks, and the egg breeds should lay well till 4 years old.  Coturnix quail are very small, quiet, and don't play in the mud like ducks.  The trouble right now is that everyone is worried about Bird Flu, so our local supplier of Easter ducklings is not carrying them this year.  In a year or two the flu will either fizzle out or do it's stuff, and poultry keeping will go back to normal afterward.  (I don't think there's much we can do to control something that is being carried by wild birds.)
    I'd like to hear more discussion on this subject.  Looks like the list is smaller and quieter now.  I just got back on myself after being mysteriously bumped about a month ago.   Donna