Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 18:08:01 -0000

Hello All,

I feel I must comment on the following quote from a recent summary. Not
because I want to make waves, but because it raises important questions
which, in my opinion, are relevant to the list -

>I have heard and read over and over again on this list when
> someone questions something, "I eat it all the time and it doesn't
> bother me." It makes me fume! These people don't seem to realize what
> damage they may be doing. Did you see the post from the guy in the UK
> eating oatmeal and Rice Dream? I posted  him and got back a very nice
> post thanking me for telling him that Rice Dream is not GF and that
> there are celiacs who don't show outward reactions from gluten
> consumption. He said that he was only diagnosed 2 months ago and has a
> lot to learn. I get tired of all these debates about oats, etc. I say
> anyone who wants to be a guinea pig, go ahead. Who knows what this
> might do to someone 10 or more years down the line? I don't think that
> a lot of people on this list have any idea what a really GF diet
> means. They write in "Does anyone know if such and such is GF? instead
> of calling the company, etc. Of course, that always does not produce
> the best results.

First of all, I'm the 'guy in the UK'. And I've learned, from this list,
and from other such lists I have been on for a long time now, that often
the most reliable information comes, not from commercial or medical
sources both of which can be suspect for various reasons, but from
people on these lists who have, in the interests of their own health,
had to acquire real practical, first hand knowledge. This is
particularly so in the case of our own condition which is often a maze
of uncertainties and imponderables.

Secondly, one of the most reassuring things about lists such as this, is
that, generally speaking, those with more knowledge and experience of the
condition are only too happy to pass this on to others with less knowledge
and experience. And I think there's a danger in the above sort of public
comment, that some, not wanting to make others 'fume',  may be deterred
from asking and getting the help they need.

Finally, if a subject of debate makes any of us angry, or if other people on
the list choose to deal with their condition in a manner which irritates us, all
we need do is press the 'Delete' button and move on. I don't know about
anybody else, but I'm interested in another's positive contribution - even if I
happen to disagree with it - and not in what irritates them. And in any case,
though there are clearly certain absolutes, so often what's right for one is
not  necessarily so for another. We are each one of us striving - with the
help of others on the list - to cope with our condition in the way that seems
best for our individual needs and ways of thinking.

And as a personal post script, I have to say that I made no assertion that
there are celiacs who show no outward sign of gluten consumption. I'm in
no position to know about that. So please folks, don't rush to correct that
particular error my thinking. :-)

Jeff in Sussex UK