From:
Rita Malkin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Malkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:33:48 -0700

On Wednesday evening my husband and I went out to dinner at P. F Chang's in Maumee, OH.  I'd eaten there before without any problem.  However, this time was very different.  I ordered, as I had done in the past, from their gluten-free menu.  I had the lettuce wrap with chicken and vegetables and then ordered the grilled salmon with brown rice.  Everything was absolutely delicious. However, this time the server wasn't very aware of the difference between regular soy sauce and wheat-free, gluten-free soy sauce.  Somewhere along the way, P.F. Chang's fell down in their training procedures and neglected to inform her about those differences.  While I did make a point of the importance of giving me gluten free sauce, I suspect that in her haste she ignored my information.

  During the night I was awakened by stomach cramps that lasted throughout all day yesterday.  Today, I'm still feeling a bit "under the weather" but am recovering.  I've been through this many time in the 30+ years that I've been a diagnosed celiac.  The only times this has happened is when I eat out and my information is ignored, and when I eat at my sister-in-law's.  After all this time, she still doesn't get it.

Rita

  Rita Malkin
  The Gourmet Celiac Group