From:
Phil Sheard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 16:00:04 +0000

G'day from the southern hemisphere. I read with interest a recent posting
by Tom Hennessy which described a possible link between Fanconi syndrome
and other disorders of interest to this group. His description did not
resemble my memory of the disease, so I looked it up in the American
Medical Association Encyclopedia of Medicine (1989). This book describes
the disease as a rare kidney disorder occurring mainly in childhood, in
which various important nutrients and chemicals such as amino acids,
phosphates, calcium and potassium are lost in the urine. This leads to
failure to thrive. It describes a number of possible causes, including
inheritance, drug side effects, and ingestion of heavy metals. I looked up
the url which Tom listed in his posting,and this seems to back up the
encyclopedia's description. I found no obvious direct links with other
diseases, and no mention of the endocrine abnormalities, although another
(unrelated) disease (Fanconi's anaemia) is a fatal anaemia which may have
associated endocrine changes. Since the latter is fatal and usually results
in early death, it would be reasonable for most of you to assume you don't
have it.
I offer this information to contribute to the discussion, and it is no way
intended as a criticism of Tom Hennessy or his findings, I am not a medical
practitioner and my findings are also open to dispute.
Tom mentioned one other thing which I would like to expand upon, as a point
of general interest. He said "..the *muscle proteins* one of which is
myosin which controls the face and throat..". Most of you will be aware
that meat is muscle. Those of you who eat meat do so because it is a good
source of dietary protein. The major proteins in muscle are the contractile
proteins actin and myosin, these are the molecules which use energy to
produce work, and which allow you to move your limbs (among other things).
So, myosin is in all muscle (in various forms, but myosin nonetheless), and
is not specifically related to face or throat musculature.
best wishes
Phil

Philip Sheard
Developmental Biology Unit,