From:
Bonnie Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 13:45:50 -0700

I have recently had something brought to my attention about my son that I had
either made excuses for or inadvertently ignored.  First, a little
background.  His father and I separated and divorced approximately 3 years
ago and we share custody of him and his brother (2 weeks with me, 2 weeks
with their father). Although they have adjusted well to this arrangement, my
youngest son, Ryan has had some problems which have only come up since the
divorce.  He was diagnosed as ADD just over a year ago. I gave him
medication, his father refused to. In the long run I felt it was doing him
more harm than good to take a medication every other 2 week period so I took
him off of it.  He tries very hard in school with no success. He also has
mood swings (this is what was recently brought to my attention) wherein he
starts to cry and can't stop until its through his system.  This has happened
at school (I wrote it off to frustration) and at home (where it could be
anything). Recently he was at a friend's house that he loves being at and
right in the middle of having a very good time, he started to cry.  When
everyone got concerned and asked him what was wrong he simply said that this
happens all the time and that he doesn't know why, that he just cries. Now I
find this totally bizarre.  I was always able to make excuses before, but
this is too unusual.

I was biopsied, but came back negative and went gf anyway and feeling
incredibly better.  Since the incident with Ryan on the weekend I've made an
appointment with my doctor to have him referred to an allergist.  (I really
don't want him biopsied for cd unless absolutely necessary).  I guess I'm
kind of grasping at straws here but I don't know what direction I should be
going.  I just really feel that this type of "mood swing" must somehow be
related to his diet.  Am I starting in the right place by taking him to an
allergist?  I'd love to shorten any processes that I can as he is just about
at the end of his rope with going to doctors (after the ADD diagnosis).  He
is also going to be undergoing some testing with a physcologist at school for
dislexia and other types of learning disabilities.

Any suggestions or confirmations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Bonnie Taylor
Calgary, Alberta