From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:34:05 -0800

Hi All--

First, many thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for suggestions for a GF antacid. I will summarize a bit later today.

Secondly, in my search for a GF over-the-counter antacid yesterday, I had an interesting conversation with a customer service rep at Johnson & Johnson (makers of Mylanta). She indicated to me that they wanted to begin labeling their gluten-free products with the GF symbol/logo used by food manufacturers, but that the FDA would not allow them to do that.

While I think the new labeling law re: food manufacturers is pretty wonderful, limited though it might be, evidently pharmaceuticals are not allowed to either use the GF logo or the words "Gluten Free" on their labels.

I'm just wanting to alert those who might be able to do something to change the current problem. I would certainly be willing to do what I could to support some type of movement to change/introduce legislation. Drug companies are often much more difficult to reach by phone and typically, getting immediate or timely information on a drug is much more critical than whether or not a particular food item is GF. In my humble opinion, that is....

Cheers,
Ayn in Alabama

Words are things; and a small drop of ink
Falling like dew upon a thought, produces
That which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think.
-Lord Byron, (1788-1824)