Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 14:41:41 -0500

A friend at work gave me an excellent recipe for banana bread - it is
from the specific carbohydrate diet.  It is truly a fine quick bread.  I
used half almond flour and half gf flour mixture, and some super ripe
bananas, and I added a teaspoon of GF vanilla and upped the salt to 1/2
teaspoon  -  just great!  You can slice this bread quite thinly and it
is indistinguishable from wheat-based bread, possibly a little better.
This bread does not crumble into bits, and it is not dry like the Sahara
desert either! The original recipe as it was given to me, without all my
tinkering, is below.

Alice

BANANA RAISIN BREAD
*Ingredients*

2 1/2 cups almond flour

2 mashed bananas

3 eggs

1/4 cup melted butter

1/4 cup honey

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon cider vinegar

1/2 - 3/4 cup raisins.

*Instructions*

1. Mash bananas thoroughly in food processor. Add eggs and process till
smooth and creamy.

2. Add melted butter, honey, salt, baking soda and process till thick
and buttery looking. Next mix in almond flour and vinegar. Lastly, add
raisins and process just long enough to mix well.

3. Line bottom of loaf tin with baking paper and pour in mixture. Bake
at 180 C. or 350 F. for about 50 to 55 mins until a knife blade comes
out clean when tested.

4. Leave in tin for 10 mins before turning out onto wire rack to cool.

Here's the GF Flour mixture I used for part of the almond flour:

2 c brown rice flour
2 c white rice flour
1 1/2 c sweet rice flour
1 1/3 c tapioca starch or flour