From:
Carol Bowles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 16:27:28 -0800

Sorry for the delayed response. With 2 frozen shoulders, using my
computer is a challenge these days.  I really appreciate Vance's posts
on this subject - it makes a lot of sense to me. Although I don't have
an official diagnosis, I definitely am in group 1. I went on a
gluten-free diet & had to wait 3 months to see a gastroentologist, so of
course my blood tests were negative. I did this because the bloating
made me look like the pictures of starving Ethiopians on TV, and the
abdominal pain was so severe that it kept me awake at night, and the
constipation so bad I was afraid that my digestion might cease
altogether. I had been sick for 6 months & lost 20 lb in 1 month &
couldn't continue in this mode for another 3 months.  My reaction to
gluten accidents (abdominal pain, gas & constipation)  takes several
hours to 1 day to appear.  I have had all my parts & organs checked
>>except<< my small intestine with no problems found. I see the gastro
again on Nov. 8.  Is there any point (after 5+ months of being almost
100% gluten-free) in asking for a small intestine biopsy? Aside from
accidents, since being gluten free I have had no more constipation,
abdominal pain or weight loss, altho I haven't regained any weight
either. My gastro thinks the blood tests "prove" I don't have celiac, so
I'd probably have a hard time convincing him to go for the endoscopy.
Please reply directly to me.

Thanks!

Carol in Northern. Calif.