From:
Devon & Anna Allcock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:27:44 -0800

Hello Listmates,
I had inquired about GF food in Amsterdam.  Thank you all who responded.
Here are some of the responses I recieved:

YES!  You must eat at a restaurant called ZEST! not too far from the
Anne Frank house.  We were just there a month ago and the food is
fabulous and they were extremely accommodating to me explaining what
would was gf or could be made gf.  ZEST! is one of three restaurants
that are upscale (but not snooty - you can go very casual) that I
would highly recommend.  I don't know the names of the other two
restaurants in the chain but you could call ZEST! and check to see
which is closer to your hotel.

Most people in Holland and Belgium speak very good english. But the
term "celiac disease" is not well known. The best you can say is to
say that you cannot tolerate gluten. Then show the Dutch translation
of wheat (tarwe), barly (gerst), rye (rogge) and oats (haver),
because most people know they are grains, but not specifically which
grains. In Holland, oats are not safe, since they are contaminated
with other grains. In Brussels, the language is French.

Check out this website:
http://www.idsl.net/celiac_travel

Here is an address in Amsterdam with a good experience in gluten free food:
Restaurant SARANG MAS
Damrak 44
1012 LK  Amsterdam
Phone +31 20 6222105
This is an Indonesian restaurant near the Central Railway Station on a
busy and unpleasant looking street, but once you get inside it's lovely and
serene

Here are some adresses in Amsterdam where you may buy glutenfree bread:

De Natuurwinkel         Hugo de Grootplein      1052 KY Amsterdam
Phone +31 20 6848597

De Natuurwinkel         Maasstraat 34           1078 HK  Amsterdam
Phone +31 20 6641104

Gimsel     Ferdinand Bolsstraat 122    1072 LR  Amsterdam
Phone +31 20 6716514

Reform en Natuurvoedingswinkel Cornelis Schuytstraat 28  1071 JJ
Amsterdam
Phone + 31 20 6623897

The Netherlands and Belgium have Celiac Associations.

BELGIUM:
S.B.C. - B.C.V
International Contacts
Avenue Louis Bertrand 100
BTE A20 - 1030 Brussels / Belgium
Tel.: +3222168347
Fax: + 3222168347

NETHERLANDS
Nederlandse Coeliakie
Vereniging
Postbus 65
NL- 3860 AB Nijkerk
Tel: + 31332471040
Fax: + 31332471042

My husband and I spent a week in Amsterdam in October (in the rain) and
found it pretty easy to eat there, compared to the US.  We stayed at the
Marriott, and I talked to their conceirge dept. in advance by fax.  They
agreed that I could empty the mini-bar and put my bread products in it.
The restaurant at the hotel was very understanding and prepared things
for me a little differently when it could make a difference. One waitess
told me her young childhood friend had CD, so she was familiar with it.
We got suggestions from the hotel, and I carried an explanation in my
purse about the diet.  One in Dutch, and one in English. The hotel and
restaurant is on the Leidseplein, restaurant is named Port O Amsterdam.
A good place for lunch is sort of between the floating flower market and
the train station direction.  It is called La Place, and is in the back
of a French bakery looking storefront.  You can walk around to different
stations and order whatever each is cooking.  I had thin steak cooked to
order with the fries from a dedicated fryer.  They put NOTHING anywhere
except where it is supposed to be.  I asked for a substitution, but
nyet, can't be done.

We tried Sarang Mas for the Indonesian food, and was disappointed to
find it difficult to eat very many of the items there, although the
waiter was very nice.

We enjoyed Osterbar for fish, pretty pricey, but good.  At Leidseplein 10.

Castell was referred for a steak dinner, and billed as barbeque.
They bring you the food on a tray and you eat on your lap.  Huge big
Argentine steak with yum potatoes. Lijnbaansgracht 252.  I had the
Tbone, and asked them to wipe the grill.

I found a market around the corner, and bought yogurts, cheese, ham,
tortilla chips, fruit, etc. for lunch time.

Thanks again everyone.  This information is extremely helpful,

Anna in B.C. Canada