From:
Cindy Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 08:28:18 -0600

I think the ultimate responsibility of what goes into our mouths is our
own, be it food or drugs.  I think it can be a grave error to expect that
someone else is more capable of knowing better than ourselves what is good
to take or not.  I believe we have to become informed and our own best
advisor.  I believe in consulting with professionals but the ultimate
responsibility for my health is my own.  How can a pharmacist be exected in
the USA to know if a product is GF when the manufacturers of certain drugs
aren't even sure.  My advise is to get the company's phone numbers, call
them yourselves and if you're not sure of the GF status after that, inquire
about alternatives with your doctor and pharmacist.  It they can't or won't
help you then it's time to shop around for new doctors and pharmacists!
Simple as that.  There are acetaminophen suppositories for fever for kids
that I'm sure are gluten free.  There are adult tablets that can be crushed
and put in simple syrup at the time of administration for celiac children
who need maintainance medicines.  There are always choices and
alternatives.  I personally prefer treating alot of our family illnesses
with herbal preparations and I do all the research for that at the health
food store myself.

Just because you get a drug labelled at a pharmacy doesn't mean it's the
correct drug.  Pharmacists are human too and capable of making a mistake.
I think we would all be well advised to know our medicines, what they're
supposed to look like and if we have a special problem with certain
additives to become informed for ourselves the status of that drug.  If you
ask the pharmacist to research that for you don't you think they should be
reimbursed for their time and the money spent on long distance calls?  Do
you think it should be done out of the goodness of someones heart?  If so
you'd better wake up and realize nobody will care for you as well as you
can for yourself.  I know because I've trusted my life in hospitals and
nearly died from neglegence of health professionals.  I've learned to look
after myself and in the case where I'm not capable to have a loved one
there to do it for me cause there are no guarantees.

Sorry for the dose of reality folks, but get real.

Cindy in Texas